stibbles
2011-10-07T07:54:13Z
Hi,

I understand the foam-filling of the buoyancy tanks was an optional extra on the P21?

Has anyone tried filling their buoyancy tanks with foam retrospectively, either on a P21 or any other Parker, or does anyone have a view on the wisdom of this?

Could the foam be 'injected' in like a damp-proof course (I think!) or am I fantasising wildly?

Many thanks,

Andy
Geoff Harwood
2011-10-08T16:34:15Z
The buoyancy tanks on the 21 consist of the triangular space under the forecabin bunk and the spaces under the saloon berths aft of the under-bunk lockers. These proved to be more a hindrance than a help in 2 incidents when 21s have been flooded at their mooring. In one case the riser of the mooring was too short for an exceptionally high tide, pulling the bow down and flooding the boat through the chain locker. The other (late model without a bridgedeck) flooded through the companionway by waves breaking over the transom. In both cases the boat inverted and the rig was destroyed due to the buoyancy low down in the hull.

I can't think how filling the sealed spaces with foam would help in any disaster situation except perhaps a high speed collision with a sharp submerged object. I would especially advise against attempting to introduce any of that self-inflating foam you can get from B&Q etc. I heard of someone who tried to fill the ends of a canoe with that stuff and it kept on expanding longer than anticipated and opened the canoe up like a banana.

Geoff Harwood ex 21/30 Cygnus
stibbles
2011-10-14T05:08:53Z
Thanks Geoff. I think I understand.

I was coming at it from the angle of feeling confident coastal cruising without a liferaft. I would be interested to hear any views on carrying a liferaft on passages such as these?
geoff.sheddick
2011-10-14T10:09:59Z
Hello Andy,

Your question leads me to make a guess that you have yet to experience the benefits of the RYA Sea Survival course - in my opinion possibly one of the most eye opening, mind changing and constructive ways in which any coastal boater can spend one day of their lives.

Most attendees come away with a determination to take all possible alternative practical measures to avoid the need to ever have to use a liferaft! The Sea Survival course will give you the understanding needed to decide your own personal priorities, based on your own particular boating circumstances.

For me personally, the bottom line is that - in coastal waters of the UK - a working DSC VHF, or a non-DSC VHF plus Lat/Long co-ordinates from a GPS, will bring rescue within such a short time scale such that even if you are forced to abandon ship before help arrives, the probability of survival is unlikely to be significantly altered by the presence or absence of a liferaft or dinghy, provided that all on board have access to, and know how to use, a self-inflating lifejacket with crutch strap, sprayhood, and light.

Naturally there are many "What if"s and other variables and equipment to consider and plan for, but I commend the course as an excellent starting point.

Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'