2011-11-29T18:21:28Z

Good day

I would like to have your opinion about

Changing the tiller to wheel on "seal 28"

Before I am going into this project

Thank you

Neil Sinclair
2011-12-10T09:06:59Z
There is periodic interest in this subject. The rudder and drop plate fitted to the earlier Seal 28 particularly is not as effective as some would like. I'm not sure whether this is due to it's position rather too far forward (in order to get the shaft and tiller in the cockpit) or maybe the rudder works in disturbed water due to the gap between it and the keel. Certainly, the Seal 850 has a transom hung rudder and several Seal 28 owners have modified their boats in this way. Wheel steering then becomes a desireable option, since organising a tiller over the aft cabin is not easy.

Even with the standard rudder, the space in the cockpit is dominated by the tiller. My crew always complain about it! My preference is for tiller steering though. I like to 'feel' the activity of the boat as it sails and most wheel steering set-ups diminish this, especially the hydraulic systems. It would be nice to just be able to put the steering brake on so I could pop below for a minute!

Wheel steering

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

Mike Edwards
2011-12-10T09:48:28Z
Hi

I agree the tiller does dominate the cockpit and makes sailing with more than 3 in the cockpit almost impossible.

I too have heard good reports of the 850 type of rudder being fitted to the 28 but I feel it is a complex project.

Good l=uck with it and please take photos and share the experience with us.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

nissim
2011-12-14T18:56:59Z
Thank you Neil and Mike

The reason I want to go on this is as you said the tiller dominate the cockpit

I know that it will not be easy

that is the reason I want to see if anybody else have done it and if it is worth the effort

Thank you again

Nissim

Mike Edwards
2011-12-14T21:03:35Z
Hello Nissim

I have emailed the Technical librarian, Geoff Harwood to see if he has any information on the modification someone else did a while ago.

I will post details on here if I get anything positive back.

Mike

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Geoff Harwood
2011-12-15T10:27:48Z
Don Guilbert did the wheel steering mod on Seal 28 number 78 Sea Fever, with help from John Baker, and the details went into the 28 Technical Manual. I can't find a copy here (call myself a librarian!!!) but it should still be there. Essentially he got a Super Seal 26 rudder assembly and fixed it on the transom with wires to a wheel in the cockpit. Bruce Parker may have suitable rudder bits in stock as fitted to the 285. Sea Fever is still in the association and on the Hamble owned by David Guilbert so there may be family recollections.

Geoff

nissim
2011-12-15T21:03:02Z
Thank you all for your replay

If anyone can give technical details it will be very useful.

I see that there is a 28 technical manual.

Please tel me how can I get one.

thanks a lot

Nissim

Seal 28 "Via Mares"

Mike Edwards
2011-12-15T22:46:02Z
Nissim

Try contacting David Guilbert the owner of Seal 28 number 78, "Sea Fever", his details should be in the club handbook.

Also contact Geoff Harwood, he may have foung the article or be able to sell you a handbook.

Mike

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

nissim
2011-12-22T20:33:06Z
Thank you Mike

In this stage I am learning and collecting information about the subject

When I will begin working I will let you know

Nissim

Seal 28 "via maris"