NeilB
  • NeilB
  • Member Topic Starter
2012-03-10T08:12:23Z
Hi,

I was checking the keel yesterday and found that with the keel about 2/3rds down it can rock about 1/2inch. I'm new to Parkers so I wondered if anybody could tell me if that is normal? I can't fully lower it at this time because she is chocked up on stands. With the keel fully up it has only slight play when pushed through the access in the housing. The keel is lifted via a winch handle forward of the mast, and it raises and lowers very smoothly. Thanks

Regards

Neil

Alan Needham
2012-03-11T18:57:47Z
Hello Neil

I have my P21#8 up on axle stands at the moment and I concur there is quite a 'side to side' movement with the keel down. I also have noticed a fair amount of corrosion of the keel especially in the areas that joins onto the glassfibre 'infill' in the centre section of the keel, do you have this?

Also I have about 3ft of keel stciking out of boat which is approx what I though was maximum from the spec sheet but I still think there is more to come looking at the marks on the keel lift rope, if Geoff picks up this post perhaps he could advise or any other member who has drooped the keel.

thanks for the post Neil

Alan.
Geoff Harwood
2012-03-12T17:06:53Z
I had to swim underneath Cygnus with a tape measure for handicap purposes! The keel dropped 34 inches vertical or 37 inches on the slant. It also wobbled a bit on the way down but wedged in tight when fully down which I thought was good.

Geoff Harwood ex P21/30
NeilB
  • NeilB
  • Member Topic Starter
2012-03-13T08:52:52Z
Hi Alan/Geoff,

Thanks for the replies. I've not noticed a great deal of corrosion on the keel but then again I haven't been able to fully inspect it yet. I gave Bruce Parker a call yesterday who confirmed that the keel will indeed move laterally until it is fully dropped as it is about 7mm wider at the top and when fully down it becomes snug. He did suggest that if it still moves when it shouldn't then the nylon runners have probably worn down but didn't recommend tampering unless really neccessary. It would be interesting to know if anybody on the site has every completely lifted one out?

Geoff - Thanks. You've probably saved us all a swim!

Regards

Neil
Alan Needham
2012-03-14T19:34:07Z
Hi Geoff/Neil

Thanks for the information, I will jack mine up a bit more and see if I get the same 34 inches.

Alan

DickG
2012-03-16T20:43:24Z
I see the subject of rust was mentioned. The keel on my 275 was quite far gone. I got it blasted and primed, and then used KBS Rustseal on it before fairing it with epoxy filler and giving it final coats of Rustseal. The cast iron was quite pitted so there was little chance of smoothing it off before priming and consequently the primer had a lot of holidays. Hence the KBS phosphate treatment seemed a good idea. The paint has held up well for a couple of seasons so far.

Some pics here:-
http://flickr.com/gp/rgarside/789Giz/ 

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Alan Needham
2012-03-29T13:03:17Z
Hi Dick

Thanks for the info. I have been discussing methods for finishing the keel with Blakes and we have ended up with a similar solution. I will be using Furtan as a conversion coating for the rust followed by 45551 Epoxy primer. Then epoxy filler to fair, more coats of epoxy primer, then underwater primer prior to Antifoul.

On the other subject I have let my keel down fully now and I have a 37 inch projection.

Alan P21 No8