ARRussell
2012-04-10T20:13:49Z
Can anyone confirm how the rudder is constructed, please? Is it a GRP skin around a foam core? I can hear some water in mine.

If anyone has the rudder off and could weigh it, I'd be interested in the comparison.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
John Edwards
2012-04-12T09:56:51Z
Hi Anthony,

Can’t really help with the construction of the rudder. I had a problem last year; the boat lives in the water in the summer and I raise the keel when leaving the boat. I found that where the raised keel meets the transom it was ‘knocking’ and therefore had damaged the gelcoat. I don’t think there was any ingress of water and I repaired it during the winter. Could that account for water in the rudder – if there is any?

John
235/07 Diamond
John
235/07 Diamond
ARRussell
2012-04-12T21:31:16Z
Hello John,

The gel coat on the tip of my rudder was damaged when I bought the boat, so that's probably where the water got in. I repaired it right away but I didn't check for water inside the rudder and I suppose I've just never noticed it before. I happened to hear it this week when I lifted the rudder near my ear while lubricating the stock. It didn't sound like much but, if there's a foam core, I wonder how much water it might have absorbed.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche