Robby
  • Robby
  • Member Topic Starter
2012-05-31T12:59:50Z
Hi,

On my Seal 22 "Atlas'T" there is a boom winding system I have never come across before and would like any and all information this knowledgeable forum can provide. PLEASE!

Where the boom connects to the mast at what would normally be the gooseneck there is a roller system that goes through the mast to a winch type handle, presumably for a boom roller reefing system.

However I have slab reefing and a stacking system on "Atlas't" so this is not required.

Also it prevents the gooseneck from being slid up when hoisting the mainsail and then hauling down to stretch the luff as it is fixed in place.

It really looks like a pukka bit of kit but my bam has never been so boozled.[:I]

Have any of you come across this system before and what did you do?

Any and all information greatly appreciated.

Robby

The More I learn The More I Realise How Little I know!
The More I learn The More I Realise How Little I know!
smiffy
2012-06-15T07:25:34Z
Hi Robby,

That sounds like the old fashioned mainsail roller reefing that was the dogs bollix years ago. People generally now realise that it weren't such a great idea, for a number of reasons.

Anyway, the way I see it, you got two choices, you can either buy a new inboard boom end fitting, complete with car and track for the mast, or a lot cheaper, rig a Cunningham. You may have to have a couple of Cunningham cringles fitted to your mainsail, if they are not already present? In case you are not aware, a Cunningham is just a small tackle that allows you to tighten the bottom half of the luff on your mainsail.

Cheers, Ray.

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384
(the last one built by John Baker)

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384
(the last one built by John Baker)