Nige
  • Nige
  • Member Topic Starter
2012-07-20T16:36:29Z
Just received a survey report for compliance with the BSS.

3 mandatory comments received:

Fuel filter to be removed; Fuel tank to be secured; Battery terminals to be secured - crimped or soldered.

1 advice comment:

High and low ventilation levels don't meet recommended standards.

Happy to address the items and tick the boxes. It was the ventilation comment that surprised me because, sure as eggs is eggs - advice comments eventually become mandatory. I guess a ventilation/ window hatch within the cockpit seating to starboard, but would the fumes from the engine permeate into the cabin?

Hope you are enjoying the summer,

Nige

P21/ 38

Nige

P21/ 38

Geoff Harwood
2012-07-27T19:44:23Z
Did someone suggest that you needed to get compliance with the BSS? I googled it and it is very much specific to inland waterways. For instance transom-hung rudders aren't allowed (they can get trapped between lock gates!)

Geoff Harwood ex P21/30

Chris Turner
2012-07-30T10:15:04Z
Having circumnavigated the South of England twice in Elsa via the Thames and Kennet and Avon Canal this observation worried me. I would like, particularly, to 'do' the Thames again.So I emailed the BSS office. This was their reply ....

Dear Mr. Turner,

Thank you for this email to the BSS Office

I can confirm that the BSS does not have any requirements or guidelines in relation to transom hung rudders.

Boat construction standards are not usually part of the BSS examination and BSS examiners will not check or examine any part of the rudder assembly

Hope this helps you

Philip Rickett

BSS Quality and Technical Manager

Nige
  • Nige
  • Member Topic Starter
2012-08-06T13:11:01Z
Hi,

I keep the boat on the River Ancholme, I need an EA licence - which in turn requires a BSSC (I purchased an annual licence - 1 month visitor licences don't require a BSSC but after 3 months cost more than an annual licence) There appears to be no problems with the rudder, (only one lock on to the River Humber)

The BSSC is valid for 4 years, it is my intention to visit the Norfolk Broads 2013 with the boat so best to get it sorted early. The BSS is interested in the 'domestic provisions' of the boat

I am in the process of arranging for an 'RNLI' inspection which looks at the sea worthiness of the boat.

Thanks for your feedback

Nige

P21/ 38

Nige

P21/ 38