Peter_Maggs
2012-08-13T18:11:38Z
I have a lifting-keel Seal 28, modified with a transom-hung rudder. The rudder assembly is 'home made' and consists of a stainless-steel assembly in which the rudder is able to slide up and down like a dagger-board for taking the ground. The axis of rotation is entirely forward of the rudder blade so it is 'unbalanced'. Looking at some pictures of Seal 28s with professionally made transom rudders, there appears to be a considerable amount of the rudder blade forward of the rotation axis. I assume that having part of the rudder ahead of the rotation axis provides for much lighter steering.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Would modifying my rudder assembly (which will not be straightforward) substantially improve boat handling?

Peter Maggs
Peter Maggs
chrisneale
2012-08-19T09:39:21Z
It would be useful if you could get hold of the drawings of the Seal 850 rudder and assembly. Maybe our technical librarian has access to copies?
Geoff Harwood
2012-08-19T16:01:55Z
I once heard that the 850 rudder was the same as the Super Seal 26 rudder. Certainly when one of our members converted a 28 to wheel steering he used a 26 rudder.

Maybe Bruce has the wherewithall to make a 285 rudder which would be much the same.

Geoff