BobS
  • BobS
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2013-01-22T14:13:55Z
I am going to replace this rope which has become chafed on the stainless steel stock:
1. I'll need to drill out the round area of filler on the side of the rudder which covers the end ?knot. Does anyone know what filler this should be replaced with? It does not seen to be resin or fibreglass.
2. Has anyone tried to construct a channel for the rope to lie on over the head of the rudder so it doesn't slip to the side and be caught between the rudder and stock, especially when the rudder is being hauled up?
Thanks
Bob Simpson
285 No74
geoff.sheddick
2013-01-22T16:05:38Z
I have replaced this rope on my P27.

1. What might be the benefits of putting any form of filler over the knot?
For myself, I cannot think of any.

2. My downhaul is exactly as per Parker's diagrams and specs for the P27. The lower section that is knotted [figure of eight] into the rudder blade simply runs up to a Seasure cheek block, which is through bolted underneath the tiller arm, between the cheeks of the rudder stock, from where it leads to a simple 4:1 tackle underneath the tiller arm. So far, it has never jammed ...

In case it is relevant, I took the opportunity to replace the oversize downhaul [it was 10mm, possibly 12mmm dia] fitted by a previous owner with the recommended 6mm dia.

Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
philip linsell
2013-01-22T17:11:50Z
When I replaced this rope on 'rascal' a 26 but very similar I made the knot large so it only just fitted the recess, I then heated the end into the knot, I don't think it's going anywhere.
Philip Linsell
Graham Ellison
2013-01-23T09:27:34Z
Hi Bob

I did exactly that job last summer, including creating the channel you mention. I created a recess in the head of the rudder and resinned-in an eye bolt (contained within the recess) to hold the new end knot, then fed the new rope along a channel over the curve exactly as you've described. As you've suggested, a hole has to be cut in the side of the rudder head to gain access to the end knot to get it out. I filled mine with West Marine colloidal silica filler. I've got lots of pictures which I'd be happy to send you. I guess your e-mail's in the member's handbook?

Best regards
Graham
Tiptoe Too
SS26/6
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2013-01-23T15:58:38Z
Hello All
I think I had the same experience as Geoff, I had to replace the previous uphaul and downhaul with the correct diameter ropes to be able to use the correct cleats.The filler in the rudder was polyester(Isopon or similar) . The only purpose for the filler seems to be to smooth off the outline and give less purchase to anything that might want to grow there. I replaced the filler but in warmer weather than we have now, so the filler cured in a few minutes.

Jan
Blue Moon
325/32
kate.hattersley
2013-03-19T18:34:01Z
I don't have any filler over the knot hole on my 275. It means I can whip it out easily and replace it without fuss. And I have never had a problem with the rope getting caught down the side of the rudder. It s just an annoying system that looks like a dinghy not a big boat!

Kate
Kate
BobS
  • BobS
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2013-04-04T20:59:54Z
Finished this off today. In the end I ground out a groove in the head of the rudder stock and when this didn't seem deep enough bordered the groove with plastic covered line stuck on with Evostick epoxy and then thought I should seal it and paint the upper stock with International Toplac.
I don't know why I had such problems with the up haul jamming between rudder and the metal edges of the stock but the latter is seriously sharp and the uphaul was 2/3 cut through. I did fill the knot hole as I hope not to have to repeat the process in my lifetime!
Thanks to all who have contributed. Photos available.
Bob