Hi

Can anyone tell me the approx headheight in the galley and saloon please
raymcm
2013-02-01T18:27:52Z
Nobody knows?

Thanks for reading
DenisB
2013-02-05T22:19:45Z
Hi, I went down to my boat at the weekend.
The headroom is about 5ft.8ins in the saloon.

Regards
Denis
P27/158
raymcm
2013-02-05T22:35:32Z
Thanks very much, I didn't want to travel a long way to look at one if it was much lower than that.
Chris Turner
2013-02-07T07:29:44Z
The original brochure claims 5ft 10ins.
I suspect this is optimistic.
geoff.sheddick
2013-02-07T10:23:57Z
For me, the Loo compartment is far more critical than headroom - can I get in it whilst fully dressed [ideally in foul weather gear], and use it behind a closed door? And more particularly, can I imagine doing so at sea?
It was this more than the headroom that caused me to reject the Seal 26.
Even the 27's loo doesn't fit my ideal in that my foul weather gear needs to come off before entry...
As for actual headroom, I'm just over 5'9"tall [short?], say >5'10" in footwear- all I can say is that I'm never conscious of having to stoop in the galley area, or of scraping my head, but the reality is that, except when standing at the galley, I don't spend much time just standing around in the saloon!
I'm usually automatically ducking and twisting to get something from the shelves or lockers, or to pass through to the loo or the forecabin.
What I really do appreciate though is the 6'6" long single quarter berth that lets me lie stretched out on my front, toes extended!

Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Ken Surplice
2013-03-03T00:47:48Z
Hi - I'm just short of 6'3" and have a Parker 275. I sleep in the forepeak and this is fine. I'm very happy there. The loo, as Geoff has commented, is just right. I can only stand in the saloon by the steps if the hatch is open. Otherwise I sit down. My other half, unfortunately, does all the galley work. On the rare occassions when the weather is nice, I get to do the washing up in a bowl in the cockpit.
Cheers! Ken

Ken Surplice
Commodore
Ken
Marvin Kowalewski
2013-03-22T16:59:53Z
Hi,

Responding to Geof... getting into head..

Regarding the door on the head. Take it off the boat to a good table saw then simply cut it in half..top to bottom. Find a nice long brass hinge to fit length of your door half...lay out on the front(cabin) side and slide together tightly and tape tight (you can't see the cut on the front side if you had a good sharp saw blade). Screw hinge to both halves replace door, and now when you want to enter the head ....open door and push left.... door will split open easily and allow you to open and close by it's fold.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen big guys use the head with surprise as to how easy they get in, close door, do their business and then open door...just allow it to fold and then step out.

Just remember the hinge lays/screws exactly centered on your cut on the inside (head side) it doesn't have to be super long--leave 4 inches from top to bottom is ok.

I can try to get a picture for you if you give me a site to send .

Hope that helps,

Marvin Kowalewski
Parker 27 #138 The Happy Seal

Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D
Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D
geoff.sheddick
2013-03-22T18:00:45Z
Hello Marvin,

Sounds really great! But what do you do to keep the two door sections from falling into a V shape when you want them to stay in the Closed position? [whether you're inside or outside...]

sincerely

Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Chris Turner
2013-03-23T07:08:15Z
Take a look at a Super Seal at the next rally. Many of them had the split folding door as standard.
Chris.
philip linsell
2013-03-23T09:28:30Z
My super seal has the split door, it works fine.
Not everything Bill Parker did was an improvement!
Marvin Kowalewski
2013-03-26T14:26:14Z
falling into a V shape ????

Good question....
I dunno...never happened... it just stays closed if you close it (latched)..or it stays against the keel wall (open)with the little spinner closure.

It's a nice easy job but do use a very good blade on a table saw...test for rip before you do the door. I found that if I layed the door face down on the table saw.. the hinge covered any small rip. Do protect the door as it lays on the table.

Marv

Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D
Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D
geoff.sheddick
2013-03-26T14:33:37Z
Thanks for your reply, Marvin.

I've realised that I made a wrong assumption, & failed to understand that the hinge goes on the Inside of the door!

Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'