Andrew D
  • Andrew D
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2013-05-05T17:05:23Z
I have been thinking of the possibility of putting my 275 on a road trailer.

I know it is a the top end of towing but wondered if anybody had experience of putting a 275 on a trailer. I would need a Land Rover to pull it at that weight.

Does anybody use a trailer for a 275 and if so who was the supplier. I have in mind that SBS might have been Parkers trailer supplier?

Those that might use a trailer does the boat sit on its original shaped wooden cradle which in turn sits on the trailer or is the hull supported by pads only. Are any trailers used two or three axle? Anybody have photos of their trailer?

The problem with a trailer is that you cannot drop the keel easily for maintenance and its a pure sod to sand and anti foul the bottom.

Any observations would be helpful. It is only a possibility at present.

Ken Surplice
2013-05-07T21:48:45Z
Andrew, when we bought our P275 it came with a road trailer. It was delivered from the Lake District to Southampton on the trailer, pulled by a small Japanese 4x4 who's name eludes me. Nissan Patrol probably. The previous owners had towed it to the South of France and back and informed me that it fits through the motorway toll booths with a couple of inches to spare either side. Thanks to another member, our trailer is sitting in a large garden near Poole at the moment. We don't use it and have no room to store it at home. If you are down south you could take a look. Cheers-Ken
Ken
Andrew D
  • Andrew D
2013-05-08T16:02:17Z
Hi Ken - thanks for your reply and it confirms that towing a 275 a reasonable distance is possible. Do you by chance have any photos of the trailer with the boat either on it or not? You say you do not use it, but would ever you think of selling it?
Graham Ebb
2013-05-14T16:01:05Z
Andrew,

Be careful with your quest to tow a 275 on a road trailer. The maximum width for a trailer towed using a standard driving licence is 8ft 3in, about 2.44m. The Parker 235 was built as a trailable boat and built at the maximum allowed width of 8ft 3in under UK & EU rules. The 275 is considerably wider! The usual maximum train weight (total of car, boat & trailer) is 3.5 tonnes. I am not 100% sure, but above this weight I think you need an independently braked trailer, i.e. air brakes and not overrun brakes as used on caravans etc. This means you also need a vehicle that can take an air brake trailer coupling.

It is a mine field of rules and regulations, many of which are not understood even by the local police. I think you will find that you will need a commercial licence and special trailer to legally tow a 275.

Practical Boat Owner did a detailed article on towing boats and licences a while a go, but I can not remember which issue it was. It would be worth reading if you can get your hands on it.

Sorry to be negative, but I think you are heading in to trouble.

However, if you find out I am wrong, please let me know.

Kind regards

Graham Ebb

geoff.sheddick
2013-05-14T17:12:25Z
Hello Andrew

How deep is your wallet?

If shallow, then call in the professionals if you need your boat moved occasionally.

If deep, then, if you are a member of the RYA, you can download their booklet "TRAILING AND ROOF RACKING THE RULES AND REGULATIONS" from their website, last updated 12/09/2012.

Their very comprehensive guide should answer most, if not all, of your possible questions, about the subject, including the key pertinent facts that the maximum permitted towing width in the UK , INCLUDING SIDE PROJECTIONS, is 2.9m [9ft6in], and that "Trailers in excess of 3,500kg laden weight must have fully powered brakes operated by the braking system of the towing vehicle." For your info, my P27 trailer weighed in at 640kg inc spare wheel & docking arms, leaving only 2860kg (6,300lb) for the boat itself...ie no way that your P275 + trailer will gross under 3,500kg

Another, more generic, source of info about all aspects of trailers and towing is

http://www.ntta.co.uk/ .

RM Trailers in Hampshire have made many trailers for Seal & Parker owners over the years, and the Owner of the Company used to have his own P27 or P275 on a road trailer, so could be worth a call...

sincerely

Geoff Sheddick

Parker 27/146 "Stroller'

Geoff Sheddick

Parker 27/146 "Stroller'

Andrew D
  • Andrew D
2013-05-14T19:43:17Z
Hi Graham and Ken

I think i am going off this idea! The width is 2.82m so should be ok as under the max boat width of 2.9m. The displacement is quoted at 2495kgs for the boat so with the trailer i thought it would be under the 3500kg although i doubt any police would be able to weigh the rig very easily.

I thought with the lifting keel the boat would sit lower and be more controlable. I have towed a UFO27 with a Range Rover many years ago and that was quite a handful especially when trying to slow down! First 27.7 yachts are sold with trailers so it must be possible as they are of a similar size.

Getting from my home port on the east coast of Scotland to the west would be quicker by road but maybe i just need to take a bit longer and go by the Forth and Clyde Canal as i did this last April. Moving the boat about the marina for craning might have been easier on a trailer but getting at the keel would be impossible sitting on a trailer. I would not be looking to launch from the trailer.

I shall have to give it some thought. Thanks for all your thoughts.

ARRussell
2013-05-15T21:57:08Z
Hello Andrew,

It clearly is possible to trail a 275 because others have done it, as Ken said. I once passed one on the M3, which I was most interested to see. It's great to be able to trail a boat between cruising grounds, even though it wouldn't be launched from the trailer. If you can store it at home for winter, it could make towing well worthwhile - even if you were to hire the tow vehicle or even a professional driver too.

As you say, the theoretical figures indicate that trailing is legal. It would be good to have an actual weight from someone who's weighed one. Clearly, you'd want to lighten the boat as far as possible but there seems no reason to assume the weight is way over the published figure. When I weighed my 235 on her trailer, I found she was considerably lighter than estimates given on the forum.

In summary, I hope you won't be put off as I'd very much like to hear about a 275 being trailed!

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche

geoff.sheddick
2013-05-15T23:00:06Z
In case it is of any help, Peter Taylor has posted a definitive weight for the (lighter) P27 on the SS26 forum:

"Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 12:20:23

... I had Piper weighed to resolve the issue, and she came in at 2794kg empty...

Pete Taylor, P27 140 Pied Piper

He later went on to say:

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 : 17:41:31

...our local handicapping system requires dry, empty weight, so that's what it is. i.e. no fuel, no water, no anchors, no sails,no mooring ropes or fenders, but does include cushions and chart table. I'm sure of the accuracy because I used a hired, calibrated load cell on the crane at lift in.

Pete Taylor, P27 140 Pied Piper"

sincerely

Geoff Sheddick

Parker 27/146 "Stroller'

Geoff Sheddick

Parker 27/146 "Stroller'

Graham Ebb
2013-05-18T11:53:10Z
Hi Andrew,

As i said, this is a very complicated area and often comes down to the definition of words in the rule book. Yes, you are allowed an overhang, but the question is, is the width of a boat an overhang or its normal width?

Ask your self why all boats that are sold as trailer/sailer are restricted to 2.44m beam. I don't think it is just a coincidence.

2013-05-18T21:15:50Z
In case a more accurate weight estimate would be useful for you, or any other 275 owner, ours was weighed a couple of years ago for racing handicap purposes and the empty weight was 2833kg. That included mast and rigging.

Stephen Morgan

Parker 275

Poole

Stephen Morgan

Parker 275

Poole