Graham Ellison
2013-05-09T09:45:08Z
I'm waiting with bated breath to receive my battle flag and can't wait to fly it! In an effort to make sure I don't commit any faux pas though, I wondered if anyone could enlighten me on battle flag etiquette?

Do we treat it as basically a huge PSSA burgee, flown from the starboard spreader halyard anytime including under way, or should it be replaced with the conventional triangular burgee when sailing?

Perhaps I'm taking it all a bit too seriously, I don't know, but then I've been reading an awful lot of Patrick O'Brian lately and I think it's beginning to rub off on me!
Chris Turner
2013-05-09T12:19:15Z
The answer is no. Don't fly it from your starboard spreader. That is for burgees and courtesy flags.
There don't appear to be any specific rules for battle flags. The PSSA one is essentially a house flag, a rectangular flag denoting membership of some organisation. Although house flags are traditionally of similar size to burgees, there is no rule to say they can't be larger. They are traditionally flown from the port spreader.
A new tradition of a shaped battle flag (shaped so that it will fly straight when flown from the forestay) is becoming common.
The only proviso is that, as with personal message flags, it should not conflict with any other maritime message.
But you are right that one has to be careful .. there is a difference between tradition and the law.
As an example, there is no law that states that you have to remove your ensign at night. That is an old naval tradition that was of a sensible practical nature. You don't wear out a cotton or wool flag if it can't be seen! With modern materials this is is less important. It is amazing how we stick to tradition for no sensible reason.
On the other hand if you fly a Union Flag in place of your Ensign you could be heavily fined. If I were to fly my 'special' club ensign without a burgee, without documents aboard, or having forgotten to renew my SSR, I could be fined thousands of pounds.(Shipping Act).
I would be interested to know too if anyone has any more recent info on this issue.
Chris. Elsa SS 26 (103)
johniow
2013-05-09T18:28:26Z
Chris has said it all. I fly my RVYC "Battle Flag" in the fore triangle - a long tackline on the flag made fast somewhere on the foredeck, and hoisted with the spinnaker halyard (furling jib means jib halyard in use). Flown in harbour and when underway, usually motoring. More visible and striking IMHO than on the port signal hoist - if you have one that is.
I'm looking forward to seeing us all in line with our battle flags on the 26th.
Now what's the battle flag protocol when I'm at the Royal Vic on the Monday? At my Club, but on a Parker Rally ...?
John
Nosey 325-26
Nosey - Parker 325-26
Chris Turner
2013-05-10T08:05:10Z
Thanks, John. But perhaps we should let the RYA say it all for those who are still interested.

http://www.rya.org.uk/in...Pages/flagetiquette.aspx 

Chris.
Stuart Tucker
2013-05-10T11:39:22Z
So, it's the Port Spreader or a halyard forward of the mast for a rectangular Battle Flag then ....?

Confused of Solent.... [:)]

Stuart
Pegasus 325/37
Chris Turner
2013-05-10T11:45:57Z
Yes.It seems either is acceptable.
Chris.
johniow
2013-05-10T15:59:25Z
Does this picture help? Follow the link. Flown from the spinnaker halyard, the wooden toggle is just clipped into the snap-shackle (it hasn't popped out yet!). A length of line tied with a double sheet bend to the flag line (I didn't trust the sewn loop), the other end of the line made fast to the centre cleat (could have been the bow roller). The blue halyard is for the jib - I tend not to keep it on and furled this weather.
Just imagine the PSSA Battle Flag there, and three forces less wind!
I wouldn't unfurl the jib with it there; even on the port spreader flag hoist, as it would be hidden, and may be fouled. It really is a I've got one so I'll flaunt it flag! which is why I fly mine so high up - it stands out!
https://www.dropbox.com/...c5jg/NoseyBattleFlag.jpg 
Shamefully yours,
John

<i>Nosey</i> Parker 326-26
Nosey - Parker 325-26