MikeB
  • MikeB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2013-06-02T22:04:23Z
My jib does not have a UV protective strip. I'm reluctant to take it down every tiem I leave the boat so I either need to get a strip sewn on or buy a cover. Does anyone have any experience of the latter and/or know a good supplier ?
Mike Ball
P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"
Andrew D
2013-06-02T22:22:30Z
Hi Mike
I do not like uv strips on sails as it distorts the shape so have always either removed or used a zip on cover. I got my local canvas person to make a cover with a long zip on it and also with loops to take a draw string.
I am on my 275 at present in east loch tarbet with the cover on and protecting the genoa from a passing rain shower! I shall take a photo in the morning and try and post it. Not sure how you do that but either that or i can email it to you. You need the girth of the rolled sail and obviously length. I hook mine to the pin on the bow roller then pull it tight. Looks neat and tidy and does not flog in the wind. If it is very windy the forestay can sometimes bounce about a bit but is easily restrained with a jib sheet round it.
John Edwards
2013-06-06T16:44:11Z
Hi Mike,

I posted a reply but it seems to have ‘fallen off’

All I was trying to say was that when I purchased my boat, I was convinced that it did not have a sacrificial strip. I emailed Quantum Sails who said they would not normally make a foresail without one. So I took it to a local sail maker (Crusader) who confirmed that there was strip but that it was in ‘matching canvas’.

Make sure you get the furl, the correct way round!

Hope this helps

John
235/07 Diamond
John
235/07 Diamond
ARRussell
2013-06-07T22:03:12Z
Hello Mike,

I was in the same position and, after three seasons, I'd had enough of getting the jib on and off each time I used the boat. My new jib is worse because it has battens - a particular hassle if single-handed! I've fixed the problem with a jib sock from Kemp Sails.

It's important that the sock is tight so that it doesn't flog in high winds. The chap at Kemp explained that they have developed their design over time, using it on their own boats. It has lines that lace around it with very low friction to allow it to be tightened all the way up after the zip is closed. I've only just started using it but I'm pleased so far. It's nicely made. I'd like to see it in a strong breeze but I'm confident in it.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Graham Ebb
2013-06-19T16:21:16Z
Mike, I have had a UV strip on our 235 for the last 9 years and it has been fine. Not had any problems at all.
MikeB
  • MikeB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2013-07-01T18:18:55Z
John Edwards - You are correct. On closer inspection I found that my white Ullman jib has a white sacrificial UV strip. The clue was that all the structural stitching in the sail is covered over on the starboard side but exposed on the port. All I had to do then was reverse the direction of the furler (which irritatingly took two attempts !).
Mike Ball
P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"