claeyssens
2013-06-06T12:16:41Z
I have found a parker 325 in Germany, but the lifting keel doesn't work since 2 years. I have asked to the Bill Parker's son if he can repair but no answer. What shipyard can repair this mecanism?

Best regards.

Pascal Claeyssens

Paimpol FRANCE

claeyssens@wanadoo.fr

Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2013-06-06T14:58:36Z
Hi Pascal

Why doesn't it work ? Does the the hydraulic motor turn ? is there oil in the hydraulic reservoir ? Is the keel jammed ?

Do you have the manual ?

It is not a complicated system any engineer with experience in hydraulics (EG agricultural ) should be able to sort it out.

Congratulations on finding the boat.

Jan Newman

Blue Moon

325/32

Stuart Tucker
2013-07-05T19:30:50Z
Hi Pascal,

I concur with Jan.

However, if you are looking for a yard with knowledge of 325's I can recommend to you the guys that service Pegasus for me in Southsea Marina, Portsmouth.

Best regards,

Stuart

Pegasus 325/37

Geoff Harwood
2013-07-13T09:02:11Z
Coincidentally I have just had an email from 325 owner Richard Cox ("Born to Run" with tiller steering) whose keel ram has burst due to rust. He says:

"If any 325 owners need a new one 'Howes Precision Hydraulics Ltd 2 Davis Way Fareham PO14 1JF now know the shape and size and can make to order:)

Tip, ensure keel drains of sea water, otherwise lower half of Ram is sat in water when the keel is up.

Top half = ok, lower half 😞

I am going to bolt an anode to lower half of ram."

He will be joining the Association when he gets around to it (he says)

Geoff

Stuart Tucker
2013-07-23T13:15:17Z
Geoff,

Thanks, useful information. If a 335/325 has an "achilles heel" it must be in the Ram. We pull ours out for maintenance every two years for a good wire brushing and a thick application of Hammerite paint. Seems to work well.

We have also replaced the hose running down the side of the Ram. The inside lip in the cast iron end cap also needs close inspection for rust, I had a new copy part machined a few years back in stainless steel.

Stuart

Pegasus 325/37

Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2013-07-24T09:56:11Z
Hello Stuart

Many thanks for the comments on maintaining the ram. Now it's definitely on the "To do" list for next winter. I think it is easy to ignore as it is so well out of sight.

Jan

Blue Moon

325/32