Dave Jeeves
2013-07-17T21:33:06Z
Hi

I took Sparky (93) on my maiden return voyage from QAB in plymouth to Newlyn last week which was great fun. Unfortunately the slipway at QAB is so shallow that the trailer had to be completely submersed when launching and recovering. I made sure the (sealed) bearings were cool first. However im not sure what to do now to prevent trouble later with brakes / hitch. I have greased the nipples at the hitch but that seemed fairly inadequate and not sure what /where to grease the brakes. Can anyone offer some advise on what should be done next? Thank you!!

Phill
2013-07-17T21:51:34Z
Dave,

The big issue with the brakes seems to be the cables, once they are seized the brakes rub destroying the shoes (expensive) and overheating the bearings. Remove the cables, hang them up in the garage and fill the little cups with oil which will run through the cables keeping them like new. The cables are quite cheap so renew them if they get stiff. There should be a hole in the back of the brake to allow you to flush with fresh water then leave the handbrake off. I would give the hitch a good (pressure) wash and then lots of grease. Once a year strip the hubs and lightly copper grease the moving parts.

Phill

Dave Jeeves
2013-07-18T08:50:03Z
Thank you Phill, thats really good advice.

The bearings are the sealed for life variety (some hope!). Can these be openned up to surface grease?

Dave

Phill
2013-07-18T18:23:19Z
Dave, on my trailer you can remove the brake drum, the bearings come with it so that you can grease them.