Gilliane Sills
2007-04-09T19:40:11Z
We’ve been looking at the option of self-tailing winches, and have discovered that Barton make the “wincher”, which can be added to an existing winch. The advertisement reads: “A specially designed rubber moulding which fits over the top of standard winches converting them to self tailing. Easy to fit and available in four sizes to suit most winches. The simple operation works when the line is sheeted under load causing the coils to climb up the drum and are then gripped by the underside of the rubber body. When the sail is trimmed, cleating is achieved by locking the line into the ribbed groove.” Does anyone have any experience of this product? If it worked, it would be much cheaper than buying new winches!

Many thanks

Gilliane and Richard

Miss Fidget, Super Seal 26, no. 69
Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
Geoff Harwood
2007-04-12T17:04:50Z
I got a pair of "Winchers" for my P21 to help get the keel up. They were the very devil to get on (fairy liquid and loads of brute force) and although they worked after a fashion they did increase the friction in the system so I had to use the long winch handle.

I changed the blocks in the keel tackle for ball bearing blocks and now I can pull the keel up just by pulling the rope. Need gloves, but it's a whole lot less work than the winch!

I still have them somewhere! They must be the most expensive rubber bands ever.

Geoff Hwrood P21/30 Cygnus
Terry Gates
2007-04-20T17:54:13Z
I inherited these "rubber bands" on my P21 when I bought it. I find them of limited use. The problem is that sometimes the rope is gripped by the rubber too well, so the tail winds itself back around the winch. You need to stop every half turn to peel a length of the tail off. I normally let the tail fall through the hatch and sometimes its own weight is enough to help it peel off the winch by itself. On those days I am a happier man!

Geoff, I am interested in the idea of changing to ball bearing blocks for the keel hoist. Do you have any tips? Can you suggest which blocks I should try?

Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99
Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99
Geoff Harwood
2007-04-20T22:30:17Z
Terry
I just dismantled the whole lot and took the blocks to my local swindlery. They were able to supply almost identical-looking ball-bearing equivalents which fitted perfectly. Made by Barton like the originals. Cost a bit though as I recall!

Geoff P21/30 Cygnus