j.neale
2013-07-23T19:19:21Z
Finally got Angelica (seal no 3)into the water after buying her in march last year...

However I am having trouble getting the forestay tight.
With the upper shrouds bar tight - the forestay has a good 3" shake

Even with the boom held by the topping life and the main sheet hawled in as much as possible, the shake reduces to about 2"

I cannot understand how all these forces are not transferred to the forestay.

At the tack, the roller reefing is attached to the forestay and onto the same point at the bows

Help [?]
K an T
2013-07-24T10:22:15Z
Hi J
I am no expert and bought our Seal last year, still not even got the mast up. However, if I have understood the tech book, the lower shrouds should be bar tight then the uppers should be tightened enought to prebend the mast aft by about 3-5 inches.
j.neale
2013-07-24T20:52:08Z
As I understand it from the tech book. The upper shrouds with the backward facing spreaders should be bar tight taking the strain directly to the forestay, they are also atteched to the hull a bit to the rear of the mast. The lower shrouds are to be tight and as they are attached to the hull inline with the mast only serve to hold the mast upright.

In a normal boat (with a backstay), the lower shrouds are attached to the hull forward of the mast and impart a forward bend in the mast.

I still cannot see how to achieve a tight forestay on my seal without imposing horrendous strains on the upper shrouds and tabernacle.
Without a tight forstay I also cannot achieve mast bend which should be caused by compression loadings by the spreaders

More help please.
Andy G
2013-07-26T11:10:49Z
Hi

Based on my P235 rig I would recommend getting a copy of Sail & Rig Tuning by Ivar Dedekam and going through the process it outlines. I also found it useful getting a Loos gauge which although expensive means you can do quick rig tunning, achieve repeat settings and use it each year to check my rig.

In general with sweeped back spreaders the cap shrouds don't need to be over tight to get the correct mast bend.

Although on a fractional rig the backstay doesn't have a huge impact I have found it does give some improvement in foresaty tension.

I would also consider meansuring the lenght of the forestay/furler.

The above is based on my experience of playing with my rig and reading different set up guides from mast and sail manufacturers

Regards
Andrew

Jago
Parker 235/04

Jago
Parker 235/04
geoff.sheddick
2013-07-26T11:54:32Z
Hi there,
I am surprised that no-one has suggested that you purchase a copy of the Seal 22 Handbook from the PSSA - I would suggest that this is a 'bible' that all 22 owners should have a copy of.
Amongst other info, It includes a detailed description of Tuning The Rig, and an illustrated guide to Setting Up the Mast.
http://www.parkerseal.org.uk/about/regalia.aspx 
sincerely

Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'