John Edwards
2013-08-03T13:46:51Z
I am having trouble with my outboard mounting plate (transom) and can’t find any reference to it on the forum; so seeking advice.

I replaced the mounting plate last year with marine grade ply, varnished etc. All worked fine to start but it now seems to have warped badly in two different directions - at the top and bottom. Hence the outboard ‘rattles’ resulting in a horrible noise, which stops when I hold the outboard steady.

I need therefore to replace the plate but before I do so, I wondered what other materials might have been used. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks

John
235/07 Diamond
John
235/07 Diamond
Geoff Harwood
2013-08-03T14:45:37Z
I replaced the plywood one on my 21 with one I made from 30mm Perspex. It probably cost a lot more than plywood but I happen to keep a stock of 30mm for making underwater camera lenses so no pain at the time! Looks good too. Since the market for underwater camera lenses seems to have recessed a bit lately I have some stock available at cost (£400/square metre)

Geoff ex P21/30 Cygnus
Candanski
2013-08-04T12:27:18Z
Has anyone used recycled plastic, such as decking, In a Marine environment it looks as if it may be very durable.

David
John Edwards
2013-08-09T08:22:04Z
Thanks for the info,

The boatyard suggests that rather than using varnish on the ply edges, you use an epoxy/fibreglass resin. Seals better and also provides some additional strength.

I have a piece of marine ply, so will give it a go

Regards

John
235/07 Diamond
John
235/07 Diamond