sailorboi
2013-08-13T20:28:25Z
Hi. I have a Super seal and I am thinking about fitting an inboard engine to her. She has the bearers for the engine bed, and the skeg is fitted, but I understand that to swing a big enough diameter propeller the shaft may need to extend further aft than where it currently does. At present it has an outboard well, and the skeg stop immediately in front of the cut out.

I was planning to fit a traditional bronze sterntube with a cutlass bearing bolted through the skeg and then mounted into a bearer glassed to the inside of the hull.

If anyone has done this job (or had it done) may i ask of your advice, and some inages, please? I am planning to fit a Yanmar 1gm 10, because I have one already
Chris Turner
2013-08-14T07:57:19Z
Some years ago I had an inboard fitted to my Super Seal but retained the outboard well. This has the huge advantage that, sooner or later when the inevitable propwrap occurs (cutters don't always work, particularly on sheets of plastic!) it is simple to remove it,from inside the boat.There is room for a standard folding prop with enough clearance from the well's fairing 'plug'. The fitters extended the skeg as far back as they could up to the well.
Unfortunately I have no precise measurements but a couple of photos (not intended to show this!) might help.
http://sdrv.ms/18tQsQM 

Chris Turner Elsa SS 103
sailorboi
2013-08-18T14:39:06Z
Thank you, Chris. I fear that the work involved is such that buying a boat with a diesel may be my preferred option. I currently have a 10hp Mecury two-stroke which works fine in a well.

Thank you for your help.