Stephen Godber
2007-04-11T19:37:55Z

Don't know if anyone can help, I've just spent a whole day trying to get my Garmin plotter to talk to my VHF without success!

The Garmin is working fine and displaying Lat and Long, the VHF is also fine except it will only display zeros for Lat and Long.

The connector from the VHF is just two wires, red and black, and couldn't be simpler (?!). I can find nothing that asks me to calibrate one to the other or anything.

The Garmin is a 178C and the VHF a Cobra. Has anyone got the same set up or any bright ideas? Am I missing something obvious?[:(]

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
GeoffTurner
2007-04-12T08:46:36Z
Looking at the Garmin and Cobra manuals, you should need to connect the white wire (pin 13 RX Com 2) and green wire (pin 14 TX Com2) from the GPS to the black (-ve) and red (+ve) wires from the VHF. Then set the Garmin to use standard NMEA on the Main Menu Time/Comm screen.

I've connected the Cobra to an MLR GPS and it all worked ok.

Parker 21 / 18 Dawn
Stephen Godber
2007-04-12T11:02:29Z
Thanks alot Geoff!

Parkers had got VHF black to black and VHF red to green.

I spoke to the supplier this morning who said black to black was correct but VHF red should go to BLUE.

So now I have a third option...bettre get down there and try them all!

I think my problem was the Comms Menu box which is on GARMIN DATA. I did try swapping this to NMEA initially but to no avail so I switched it back to the 'default' setting. I subsequently didn't try this on NMEA with all the different wires options, so in hindsight should have left it on NMEA whilst I tried them all.

Will fill a flask and head for the harbour! Many thanks!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"