Jon Stockton
2013-10-11T21:30:50Z
I've read the stuff about improving the keel lift with bearing blocks. So did the previous owner, who replaced the plain blocks with Barton bearing blocks. I still find it a pain to lift. Today I tried it on the trailer with the inspection hatches open. I found half a sheave nestling on the keel. It appears the double block under the inspection hatch has broken. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just a "one off"?

I also think the aft roller on the keel is stuck. Has anyone found a fix for that?
Jon
DickG
2013-11-14T11:41:33Z
Jon,

On my P275 keel, the aft roller [that is part of the keel] hasn't shown any particular problems. When I have had the keel out I have removed the side bearing pads, which retain the roller axle, and cleaned the axle and roller. Since I removed all the grease from the keel bearings, this roller seems to function satisfactorily. I did check that the roller was not binding on the side pads, if things are a bit out of true it may be that they can bind up if there is not enough clearance.

The forward roller [fixed to the bottom front of the keel case] had grooved heavily, so I have fitted a new axle and roller there, though I think that is beginning to groove too - there isn't enough space to get a big enough roller to reliably overcome the friction on the axle so this will continue to be a challenge.

Hope this helps.

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Jim Crick
2013-11-30T12:43:04Z
Barton don't recommend using bearing blocks if the keel will be left in the raised position as the balls deform under static load. I did fit bearing blocks when the boat was kept on its trailer, and there was a noticeable difference. Since I had a No3 block deform, and the rope jammed between the cheek and the sheave, I have changed to size 4 plain blocks, and replaced the deck block (still size 3 but now running true on its shaft) and it has become almost simple to raise. It is easier With someone tailing the uphaul, but not difficult to do it solo.I think increasing the sheave diameter and having new sheave/shafts has made more difference than fitting rollers, but that is hardly a scientific comparison!
Loosening the bolt on which the roller runs did it for me, but I am not convinced it is large enough to protrude beyond the cheek blocks. It seems a bit of a mismatch of sizes for roller, bolt hole, and bolt, but there is no sign off any adverse effect.
Jon Stockton
2013-11-30T13:31:21Z
Hi Jim, Thanks for that. Could I just clarify the last bit. Is this the aft keel roller bolt that you loosened? The keel is currently chocked up for replacing the blocks which leaves the roller bolt out of sight. I'll get good look at it when that's done. Cheers, jon
Jim Crick
2013-12-06T22:58:12Z
Yes Jon. Top aft edge of keel. I had to reposition the access hatches because they didn't reveal the bolts! I also upgraded them as the old ones leaked rainwater into the accommodation.