MrT
  • MrT
  • Member Topic Starter
2014-03-04T19:10:38Z
The metal pole inside the boat that takes the pressure from the mast, stepped on the deck above, down onto the metal keel box.

I took the table top off today to check the keel winder. It's quite damp in there and the salt has done its work. The keel winding bits looked well greased and fine but the bottom of the compression post, where it ends in a flat T shape bolted to the top of the keel box, is quite corroded. It seems to sit on a plywood pad which has delaminated and fallen to bits. The post is steel I think and well rusted, I didn't poke at it too much in case I made it worse. If I hadn't looked in there I would probably never have known but now I am a little worried.

Has anyone had any trouble with the compression post, is there cause for concern or will it last another 40 years?

Thanks

Alistair
22/122 Elsa
Blogging my modest adventures at www.tyrrells.org uk 
Geoff Harwood
2014-03-10T17:07:33Z
The post on my Sinbad went that way. The post was OK but the plywood had disintegrated. This let the mast push the deck down till I used to get a puddle round the mast step. A car jack under the cabin ceiling enabled me to get a 4x2x1 lump of hard plastic under the foot of the post and that sorted the problem.
gregfaux
2014-03-27T07:50:25Z
The post on Moonspinner is supported on a milled nylon block, same at the top, and the small section of plywood below the coachroof above the top of the post was cut out and replaced at the same time - nice job too by previous owner. I think this is a universal problem rather than a 'S22' one, many other boats, including Hurley's and Corribee's suffer mast support issues too when old. All fixable though - mostly work rather than materials....
Greg...
Seal 22 - Moonspinner