roblpm
  • roblpm
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2014-03-30T20:02:18Z
Hi

Just rigging my P275/7 Nimrod for the first time.

Does anyone have a good diagram or photos of how the mainsheet is rigged, especially the cockpit end?? She has the standard traveller set up on the coach roof.

Also I don't seem to have enough clutches. Anyone care to list how they have their lines set up including spinnaker gear??!!

Cheers

Rob
Rob
Parker 275 Number 7 Nimrod
Port Edgar Marina
Gilliane Sills
2014-04-05T10:18:04Z
Dear Rob

We took our mainsheet off over the winter and put it back on a couple of days ago, and I took a photo of what it looked like. We're pretty sure this is the right way - but haven't yet tried it out... The sheet starts from the becket on the block on the traveller, up to the forward side of the aft block on the boom and then round the block, down to the aft side of the block on the traveller and round the block, up to the forward side of the middle block on the boom and round the block, down to the block on the traveller and finally up to the aft side of the forward block on the boom and forward to a block at the base of the mast, then back to the deck organiser and finally to the clutch on the coachroof. The text sounds really complicated - maybe the photo will be clearer - though there are a number of ropes looped round the boom to keep them off the coachroof, which doesn't help...

When we bought Delphine (previously Take Two) last autumn, she had five clutches and clam-cleat to starboard and four and a clamcleat to port. The clamcleats were used for the topping lift and spinnaker pole downhaul - and I'm afraid I haven't noted the current order of the lines in the clutches. We're replacing the two clamcleats by clutches and adding a clutch, and we expect then to have one clutch shared between the spinnaker pole downhaul and the third reef - since we can't imagine ever needing both these at the same time!

Mainsheet Parker 275

Best wishes

Gilliane
Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
roblpm
  • roblpm
2014-04-09T21:44:14Z
Gilliane

Thanks for that. What I now realise at that what you have described is the standard way to do it for cruising. I plan to do a bit of racing though so have bodged it up going aft off the end of the boom through a 4 way purchase to a jammer. Andrew Downie who races more has a track in the cockpit. I will see how it goes!

Rob
Rob
Port Edgar Marina
Gilliane Sills
2014-04-09T21:53:53Z
Dear Rob

You're right that we plan to cruise mostly - but Delphine's previous owners raced her quite a bit and I think they had the same arrangement. It gives a five way purchase - but having the mainsheet and the traveller controls on the coachroof does mean they're not very accessible to the helmsman. On our previous boat, Miss Fidget, a Super Seal, we moved the mainsheet from a single fixing on the floor of the cockpit to a traveller on the bridge deck, and we liked that arrangement. We don't yet know how we'll feel about the present one in practice!

Best wishes

Gilliane
Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
BrianC
2015-05-05T08:44:56Z
I have recently purchased Kotick a Parker 27 and have started sailing it from Brightlingsea, Essex. I noted there was mention of a mainsheet cockpit traveller setup on a Parker 27 and I would be keen to hear details of how this was set up and how well it performed. My current mainsheet set up uses a fixed point on the steel bridge over the cabin roof and a fixed point with cleat in the middle of the cockpit floor.
I am keen to race and the addition of a traveller would appear to give better mainsail control. Also keen to hear of any other workarounds to get the boom amidships when beating.
Thanks BrianC
BrianC
Kotick - Parker 27
Brightlingsea, Essex
roblpm
  • roblpm
2015-05-05T12:34:27Z
Brian

I have now copied fellow local Parker 275 owner Andrew Downie (Vela) and installed a cockpit traveller. I will try and post a picture next time I am at the boat.

Its a Barton system with a beam track as it spans the cockpit lockers across the cockpit just forward of the opening cockpit locker.

It works well (although we haven't quite got used to it yet). The mainsheet can now go directly on to the boom through 4:1 mainsheet arrangement. It does however make the cockpit a less easy place to be as there is a very trippable hazard at knee height!

So it is definitely a toss up between performance and convenience. The coach roof traveller never really seemed to be at the right angle to nake much difference.

If you want part numbers etc i can supply them.

Regards

Rob
Rob
Port Edgar Marina
BrianC
2015-05-06T08:35:17Z
Thanks Rob
Is the Barton system you have fitted a detachable traveller? Would be keen to see photos when you get the chance.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Its all about getting the boom more amidships when beating to windward to improve performance.
Cheers Brian (Kotick)
BrianC
Kotick - Parker 27
Brightlingsea, Essex
kate.hattersley
2015-06-14T14:58:51Z
I race Beeline my 275 regularly and I have a traveller fixed to the forward end of the cockpit by the main hatch. From there I have a four to one pulley system attached to the end of the boom. I can play the main and release it from the steering position on the side deck. The traveller track is curved to fit the deck and is French I believe.
Kate
jalbery
2015-06-14T18:52:38Z
Kate/Rob

Having the traveller in the cockpit, do you find that the sheet catches chafes on the sprayhood (of course if you're racing you may have dispensed with the sprayhood)?.

Cheers
James
Morning's Minion, Parker 275, No. 1