barry.tiernan
2014-04-21T21:16:44Z
I have a small leak from the water pump , boat has just gone in the water

It seems to seep out and the casting looks slightly corroded, looks like corrosion has been going on for a while

On a sail with small amount of engine usage, less than 30 mins I get an egg cup full in engine compartment

Is it easy to change the pump or seals, do you have to pull the engine out, seems very little space

Thanks
Barry Tiernan
David Parsons
2014-04-23T12:11:22Z
I had a similar leak from my water pump (Yanmar 3GM) and it turned out to be the shaft seal within the pump.

I took the pump off and had the seal replaced by the local boatyard. It was a fairly simple, inexpensive, repair but I recall they needed a press to withdraw the seal so something that I would not have attempted myself.

Good luck

David Parsons
P335/40
David Parsons
DickG
2014-05-08T09:32:27Z
I had a leak from the water pump seal on my 1GM10. It is pretty straightforward to remove the water pump and replace the seals. The shaft may be worn where the lip seal sits on it. I put mine in a drill press chuck and smoothed it out with 600 & 1000 grit wet&dry before reassembling it. I found some guidance on an internet forum, can't remember which but I made a pdf of the guidance which I will attach here. I went to a local bearing and seal stockist to get the seals, much cheaper than Yanmar parts - I took in the old ones and they got me replacements. I asked for ones with stainless steel springs in, and had to wait till the next day for them to get them in. Hope it helps!

I did the job when the engine was out of the boat, but I think there is enough access to be able to do it with the engine in-situ.
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
chris nichols
2014-05-08T18:24:34Z
Further to Dicks info, I too have replace seals and polished the shaft on the 1gm10 - and the repolished shaft lasted another 2years before replacement was needed. Beware while removing the seals from the shaft - there is a spring washer seated in a groove between two of the three seals so you cannot just press them all off one end of the shaft. The pump assy is simple to remove from the engine in the P27, dont know about the 275 though.
best of luck
chris
barry.tiernan
2014-05-26T11:26:29Z
Thanks for all the helpful replies. An engineer in our boat yard sorted it out, just the seals and didn't need to remove the engine, thankfully inexpensive. He reckons seals last approx 5 years or so

Regards

Barry Tiernan