Ray
  • Ray
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2014-07-28T19:27:42Z
I have’t had Sealoner long but find her hard to steer (sorry Helm) when under power.

It could be I’m pushing her to hard but once I get to 4.7 kntsor more through the water I find she can swing either to port or starboard very quickly.

I’m not sure if having the keel half way down or fully up is best.

It ok in Portsmouth / Chichester Harbour but when I'm in the Solent or south of the I.O.W it gets hard to hold a straight course

I would be interested in all comments about this but may be slow responding as I’m off to France and possibly Channel Islands on Thursday with her

Do we know how many Seal 28 have crossed the channel before?.

(I do know Sealoner did it in her early days as I have some paper work confirming it).

Look forward to any replies and meeting some of you again but seem tied up for most of this year.
Neil Sinclair
2014-08-09T17:28:51Z
I have the same problem with Andiamo. There are two choices - you need to learn to concentrate on steering manually - only very small movements of the tiller and watch your course very carefully - or use the autohelm! In fact, watching the autohelm steer the boat under power will give you the clue on how it's done. I remember being very worried by it when I first bought the boat since my previous one (a Sunray 21) could be left to steer herself. You do get used to it!

I have found that a dirty bottom makes it worse.

Having the rudder drop-blade down helps.

Neil

Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'