John Williams
2007-04-17T11:15:46Z
I have a fixed 2 blade prop which motors forward with my Yanmar 2GM20 very well but reverses quite poorly. I am thinking of fitting a Brunton Varifold prop to reduce drag when sailing but am worried that my poor reverse will be even worse with a folder. Does anyone have experience of folding props on a 275?

John Williams
275/60 CRYSTAL
John Williams
GWENLLI
Beneteau 323
2007-04-17T12:21:19Z
hi john

i had a KIWI feathering prop fitted to my 285 [ VETUS supply them}
this has proved excellent especially in reverse
worth a follow up
regards charles

bill parker will advise

charles clements

Spartacus 285
charles clements

Spartacus 285
John Williams
2007-04-17T14:12:42Z
Hi Charles

Thanks for that info.

I looked at feathering props but the cost put me off.

What engine do you have?

John Williams
275/60 CRYSTAL
John Williams
GWENLLI
Beneteau 323
2007-04-17T21:00:43Z
john

yes they are expensive but have plenty of bite
i have a 15hp Yanmar 2Y15 Bill is fitting them to the 285's now

regards
charles

charles clements

Spartacus 285
charles clements

Spartacus 285
mike pollard
2007-04-17T21:17:45Z
quote:
Originally posted by John Williams

I have a fixed 2 blade prop which motors forward with my Yanmar 2GM20 very well but reverses quite poorly. I am thinking of fitting a Brunton Varifold prop to reduce drag when sailing but am worried that my poor reverse will be even worse with a folder. Does anyone have experience of folding props on a 275?

John Williams
275/60 CRYSTAL

Mpollard
Mpollard
mike pollard
2007-04-17T21:25:18Z
I have fitted a Brunton Varifold 2 Bladed prop to my Parker 275s
with Yanmar 1 GM 10 Engine. The prop is very effective both foward & reverse. However you have to give a burst of throttle to open in reverse from a standing start. I am well pleased with this prop.
I hope this answers your question.

Mpollard
Mpollard
John Williams
2007-04-18T08:35:06Z
Thanks Mike

That is good news I best get one ordered.

John Williams
275/60 CRYSTAL
John Williams
GWENLLI
Beneteau 323
Don Harvey
2007-04-18T16:41:38Z
quote:

John

If it helps here is my experience with both folding and feathering props.

I fitted a folding prop on my 275 and lived to regret it. On one occasion, having just tied up alongside a boat on the River Dart (in a very strong flood tide), I was asked to let him slip out. The problem was that I was stern on to the tide and facing a dead end (this was on the pontoons where the ferry leaves from). I attached mooring ropes around his boat, ready to pull in as he slipped out; with my engine running fairly hard in reverse. Unfortunately, as he left and let go the ropes to my boat, I had to go very hard in reverse - only to find that there was insufficient grip from my folding prop (incidentally I had a 19HP 2GM20 engine). I was slowly 'drifting' back into the dead end. It was only due to my own and other crews that I was lucky enough to be pulled towards the pontoon. I vowed never again to have a folding prop.

Now my experience with feathering props. 3 years ago I purchased Calypso a Parker 325, and fitted a CJR feathering prop at great expense (should have spoken to Bill first as this was another mistake). The problem with the CJR is that due to its design it comes with a very large boss (this was not apparent on the model I saw at the boat show). The consequence was that :
a) It meant the blades were shorter than optimum
b) The flow of water from the skeg onto the boss caused terrible cavitation.

After one season. I could no longer stand the noise (which was significant) and spoke to Bill. We discussed alternatives, including the KIWI, but he recommended the Max-Prop from Darglow Engineering

http://www.darglow.co.uk/html/products.htm 

Bill has fitted both 2 and 3 bladed Maxi-Props to a number of his boats.

Though more expensive than the Kiwi, it has something in the order of 50% more blade area (hence its name) and I was unsure how the plastic KIWI would take to being driven into hard sand when taking the ground (say at the Bembridge Rally)

I have not regretted fitting the Max-Prop.

PS - I have a cheap CJR feathering prop in the garage if anyone wants it.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
John Williams
2007-04-19T11:10:52Z
Thanks for that Don

That is useful information. The fear of making my reverse worse is whats stopped me fitting a folding prop before. The drag from my fixed prop doesn't bother me that much and I prefer simple systems that can't fail so maybe I'll stick to my fixed prop after all and save my money.

John Williams
275/60 CRYSTAL
John Williams
GWENLLI
Beneteau 323