Bobob
  • Bobob
  • Member Topic Starter
2014-08-21T20:00:22Z
Has anyone tried a 6hp Tohatsu 4stroke in the well of a Super Seal 26? It works a treat on a Folkboat (which is a bit lighter). My Tohatsu 9.8 is too smoky and noisy and not really very efficient. I'm looking for options.

Bobob

David Tilley
2014-08-25T16:22:40Z
I don't have the exact experience that you seek but a few observations from our time with a Jaguar 22 with outboard power before we graduated to our present Superseal 26 (which was converted to inboard 1GM10 before we owned her.

We did a lot of research before buying a new motor that my wife could easily start and was quiet and robust and this may be relevant to your plans: Unless they have had a recent change in manufacturing spec the Tohatsu 6Hp is the same engine as the 5HP but a bigger carb to allow higher RPM. Here the thing - if you are using a Sail-drive prop (which you should on a displacement craft)you cannot effectively use the higher revs that the 6HP gives as the prop is designed to give torque rather than speed. Great little engines but effectively you are looking at pushing a heavier boat than our old Jaguar with a 5HP rated engine.

David Tilley
Bobob
  • Bobob
  • Member Topic Starter
2014-08-26T08:02:08Z
Thanks David. Useful.

The problem in the SS26 is finding an engine small enough for the well and quiet enough to be tolerable at high revs.

Does anyone know which 4stroke (min 8hp) is the smallest?

Bobob

Gilliane Sills
2014-08-26T09:28:30Z
http://www.selvamarine.c..._4t&prod=blackbass-8 . It's available with an electric start in addition to the manual. Eventually we decided we'd live with the noise of the Tohatsu - it wasn't too bad - so we never followed up the Selva, but it might be worth having a look at it. I don't know anything about Selva in terms of build quality or reliability or after-sales service, so this isn't a recommendation!

Good luck!

Gilliane

Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
David Tilley
2014-09-30T15:02:09Z
We looked at the Selva a few years ago for our previous boat as they were the smallest Electric start available and my wife has a back problem which makes the pull cord start difficult for her. (I was being selfish as she is my usual crew and an MOB would be beyond her ability under sail). The Selva is Italian but my research linked them with major input from Yamaha. Earlier models were prone to whatever the faults that the corresponding Yamaha (which I believe was discontinued below 9.9hp). Prices were very favourable compared to the Yamaha alternative which went over to 2 cylinder and was quite heavy.

My data is a few years old and preened from a failing memory but hopefully it will give some lines of enquiry before making a decision.

David Tilley