BobS
  • BobS
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2014-09-05T15:01:22Z
The stainless steel wire that lifts my keel is becoming "jaggy" with small broken ends, though no other signs of problems and no recent change. It is well greased. How long should the wire normally last? Teal was built in the autumn of 2008. Are there any issues I should be aware of when considering replacement by an engineer/yard?
Thanks
Bob Simpson
285/74
Teal
DickG
2014-09-07T19:35:12Z
Bob,

The presence of a few broken wires usually indicates that replacement is due. I have switched to using Dyneema D12 of 7 or 8mm diameter, I find that this is much better than the wire rope.

Regards

Dick
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
David Smith
2014-09-07T20:56:01Z
Hi,
Our Parker 285 Blythe Spirit had the wire replaced with Dyneema two years ago. It's performed faultlessly over that time with no signs of wear or tear.
David
Graham Ebb
2014-09-08T16:09:47Z
Hi Bob,
All I can say is "do it now". Either replace with dyneema or S/S wire as I did. Our cable snapped. Luckily when the keel was down. We had just bought the boat. It had been surveyed and the keel winch had been serviced and inspected by the yard only a few weeks before. Just pressed the button to wind up and "Bang". Had to pay for lift out and yard assist to push keel back up to get reach eye bolts. On inspection the cable was spiky, but only the last bit rapped around motor drum where it broke. For the sake of about £15, I am going to replace it every couple of years or so, just for peace of mind. A failure from fully raised is your worst nightmare!

Do it as soon as possible.

Best wishes

Graham Ebb
Betty Blue 285/61
BobS
  • BobS
2014-09-14T23:44:42Z
Thanks Graham, Sounds good advice.
Bob Simpson
Teal 285/74
BobS
  • BobS
2014-12-01T17:24:27Z
Have now replaced the wire strop with Teal out of the water. Interestingly there was a bight on the cable where it had over-run and then been trapped by another coil. The wire had to be cut to release it. Not sure if this had stopped a full descent of the keel.
Used Dyneema (Marlow Excel D12 Black Max 78, 7mm with a stainless Steel Eye splice, overall length 4m) from Jimmy Green
Used the full length and there was plenty of room on the winch - and it has held so far!
The eye bolts on the keel seem good for a while yet.
Many thanks to Graham Ebb in particular
Bob