Mike Baldwin
2014-09-19T11:44:52Z
My quayside mooring in Emsworth dries out fully and the bottom is a shingle river bed. I have made a bed of tyres that the boat sits on, but still the propeller almost touches the shingle, even when I turn the propeller shaft to allow the three blade kiwi folding propeller to be in the optimum position (I have marked a nut on the coupling). I know from the previous owner (Charles Clements) that the propeller always sat in the mud with never any problems. I read in the manual that the boat can dry out on sand (the propeller will be in the sand) but have not had the courage to try this yet. Has anyone dried out a 285 with a kiwi prop on sand? If so, any advice? I definitely do not want to dry out on gravel as I am sure it would damage the prop and shaft. I am just lucky that I put the tyres down first (done initially only to protect the hull, as I assumed the skeg would protect the propellor!)

So, I am considering replacing the skeg with a new design. In my opinion the original skeg is not long enough either to protect the propeller when sailing or to lift the propeller off the ground when drying out.

I would welcome comments on the above and any advice including possible skeg designs (with small wings?) and size. If I change the skeg, can anyone foresee any problems with sailing or drying out? Finally, I know that one other 285 owner has a similar concern, so if we can agree on a way forward and a suitable design, it may be possible to order 2 or more which may be cheaper.

Depending on the replies to this, I can easily attach photos and suggested increase in length.

Mike
Spartacus/70