stansfield
2014-10-03T21:31:59Z
Hi any one tell me how to remove the forward keel roller on a Parker 21
Thank you Mike
2014-10-03T22:25:57Z
Hi Mike

It is possible to remove the front roller on the keel with the keel supported I suggest in its highest position. It does just clear the roller on full lift. However if at all possible it might be easier to jet wash out any barnacles and scrape out the housing, again with the keel right up and supported rather than strip this out.
Some suggest grease on the roller, others prefer a PTFE spray or just make certain it is clean enough to rotate and leave it 'dry'

If you do go ahead, the two screws are visible in the alloy plate but will probably be difficult to turn, there are usually captive nuts to deal with inside the housing and by this time these may have corroded onto the stainless steel screws. Using a socket set with a flat blade screwdriver socket, might give you enough leverage to ease the screws out, but they are, from memory, only 6 mm !
Hope this is some help.
ron chadwick
2016-01-25T17:36:58Z
hi we have just purchased a parker 21 1996 and are having difficulty getting the keel to move up and down with ease we have replaced the pulley system and done away with the single eye bolt so all the pulleys are good and do not catch anywhere inside the housing, does any one have any drawings or a copy of a workshop / build manual to see how it all comes apart or is it quite normal to be difficult even with new pulleys love the boat but worry that if the keel needs to be raised in a hurry it will cause me problems hope someone can help
Jon Stockton
2016-01-31T21:17:28Z
Dear Ron

The association has copies of the P21 manual for sale. Your problems could be due to a jammed roller foward, aft or both. If you work through this section of the forum you will find members who have modified the purchase system, and also reduced friction in the system. the front roller is attached to the boat, the rear to the top of the keel. This can be reached through the inspection hatch on the keel case. There are those that claim to be able to pull it up by hand! Jon