David Tilley
2014-10-21T08:08:25Z
I think I can predict a few culprits for the leaks but just in case this is a familiar woe that doesnt apper as a thread I would like to explore the combined knowledge! I have had an ongoing problem with water collecting on the food store top and behind the cooker which inevitably finds its way into the port under seat locker when there is sufficient overspill. I have reasealed and then rebuilt the jib sheet traveller sealing surfaces and the chainplate base. new windows and the seal is good except 2 bolts but that drips through to the headlining and is minimal. Sliding hatch tracks and winches on coach roof all resealed.

Now the circumstances of water occurring are a clue as on the mooring this problem is minimal but it is much more evident now the boat is ashore (recent rain has obviously been a factor. I suspect the bolts through the toerail/deck joint and also the stantion bases but heres the interesting diversion - dropps appear at the edge of the access panel over the cooker (jib trach mount bolt access) and are tainted with brown colour indicating the water is going through the wood core. Could the water be wicking up through the side deck substrate or do I need to look again at items on the coachroof? I'm getting tired of stripping down everything and not solving this problem so I need some reasurance I'm barking up the right tree!

David Tilley
PeterL
2014-10-25T19:01:34Z
I'm not familiar with the 275 coachroof ( having SS 131) but you haven't mentioned the clutches/jammers.They take a lot of strain so is it possible the bolts to one or more have worked a hole with too much clearance or the bedding sealant has fractured ? You've perhaps covered this when you mention the winches.

Peter

Martin Gray
2014-10-26T21:50:44Z
David,

Some time ago I experienced water dripping on to the work surface around the sink and was initially unable to find the source. I eventually traced the source to an unsealed screw that fastened the top of the aluminium channel that retains the main hatch washboard in place. Water was entering through the unsealed screw and running down between the fibreglass of the rear of the coach roof and the teak faced ply lining, dripping out on to the work surface. Over the years the ply rotted away and I had to have the rear panel replaced.

regards

Martin

David Tilley
2014-10-29T14:11:21Z
Thanks to Martin and Peter for the replies...

I have done a bit more investigation as a result of meeting one of the previous owners at our club. I am fortunate in that we have 4 other SS26's and a Parker 275 at Topsham sailing club so ample chance to compare notes and on this occasion it was mentioned that the stanchion tubes were moved outwards as was evidenced by the former hole repair being just visible on the deck. Further examination of the other SS26's and Kate's Parker 275 made it obvious that the toerail has also been changed to that of the later version on the Parker which has less drillings through the deck/hull joint so I think I have the most likely cause identified. If anyone is interested I will try and take some photos and perhaps log a detail of the repairs. Sadly there does not seem to be a lot of interaction regarding some of the topics on the forum and I often end up going on the PBO site for reference. I have done some extensive refitting/upgrades to my boat so I will try and redress this if I can.

David Tilley