Doug Rivers
2015-02-02T18:36:30Z
Hi all,

I'm interested in what systems people use.

I just had a year old cutlass bearing removed which was knackered. It had obviously overheated due to lack of water lubrication and burned hard. According to the engineer this can happen with boats that dry out as an airlock forms and water doesn't re-enter (I had a system on my Feeling where you had to "burp" the seal occasionally, this isn't one of those).

He has suggested a different set using an PSS shaft seal whereby water is forced into the bearing. Not cheap to install but much cheaper then replacing the bearing each year with the added advantage that a greaser isn't required.

Thoughts, views?

Thanks.

Doug
philip linsell
2015-02-02T22:19:37Z
Doug
It sounds as if you have a shaft seal problem (engine end of shaft) not a cutlass bearing (prop end).
On rascal my 26 I had a Norris lube seal which is oil lubricated, but it ran hot, 80 degrees plus. I also got through cutlass bearings about every 2 years.
I changed the shaft seal to a RMTA seal which has a water supply from a tee fitted to the engine to exhaust feed pipe.
After some initial problems this has worked fine for 2 years.
The introduction of a water supply trough the shaft tube seems to clean the cutlass bearing as well, as this does not seem to wear anymore.
Rascal often sits in the mud on the mooring and I frequently dry out during the season, which as you say can introduce air lock to the shaft seal, I also think the muck that gets into the cutlass bearing increases wear here.
A water cooled shaft seal (with a water feed) solves the air lock and keeps the cutlass bearing clean.
I hope this helps
Philip
Doug Rivers
2015-02-02T23:00:40Z
Thanks Philip

This makes sense and sounds exactly like my issue. The rmta seal looks to work in a similar way to the pss seal. I'll discuss with the engineer.

Again, thanks.

Doug