David Hayden
2015-07-17T18:55:55Z
I purchased Lucy, now Living Water, number 47 from Mike Ball. On its launch at Oulton Broad someone tripped and released the keel. It broke the metal bar holding it high for the trailer and also broke the pulleys. We replaced the pulleys but it is now very difficult to raise. We can manage it if someone pulls above keel box while another works the winch. The top keel roller does not ride properly on the nylon slider. We wondered if the forward keel roller has been damaged but Mike things this is unlikely. I thought I would need to have the boat taken out of the water but wanted to buy a new forward keel roller in case that is the problem. But where can I buy spares? Or do you think there could be another reason why it is not working properly? At the moment I find it difficult to use because of the keel problem so any replies would be gratefully received.
It is likely to stay in fresh water on the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads.
Many thanks
David Hayden
Ken Surplice
2015-07-18T06:21:30Z
Hi David. I had a P21 with a seized front roller. For me, replacing it didn't make much difference to the ease of raising. A friend of a friend used a lathe to make one from a block of plastic. Let's see if other members can give useful advice. Cheers. Ken
Ken
GeoffTurner
2015-07-18T17:03:10Z
Another possibility is that the nylon block at the bottom front of the keel housing has split, and the keel's jamming in it (happened on my P21). To see if that's the case, try looping a rope round the front of the keel under the hull and back to the 2 sheet winches. Put a bit of tension on to see if the keel pulls back (only an inch or so) and then raises ok.

Like Ken, I just made up a replacement block from a bit of nylon. A bit fiddly to take off and put back on though!
DickG
2015-07-19T04:42:12Z
Were the pulleys that were replaced the blocks that make up the 6 part purchase for hoisting the keel? If so, have they been re-rove in exactly the same way as they were before?
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36