Jake
  • Jake
  • Member Topic Starter
2015-09-20T20:14:12Z
Does anyone know what the Recreational Craft Directory rating is for the Parker 275?
My guess is that it complies with Category B - Offshore, but I can't find anything on the web to confirm or disconfirm this. I'm interested because I'm considering going across the Bay of Biscay next summer, but not sure if it is wise to attempt this in a Parker 275.

Regards

Jake Lyne
Ardea
Jake Lyne
DickG
2015-09-20T21:17:38Z
If you are interested in Parker 275 things it may be better to post them on that part of the Forum. As far as I know the 275's were made prior to the RCD coming into effect. Not sure if the 285's received RCD classes. I'll look forward to hearing other input.

The RCD requirements were first introduced in June 1998. Craft sold after then should have a CE mark on their builder's plate, together with an identification number for the craft.

As for crossing Biscay, I think Seal & Parker 27's have been that far afield, and have certainly sailed in waters that are that challenging. I think the capability for a trip like that has much to do with the skipper's preparations and seamanship. The original design and construction of the boat is obviously significant, but the standard of maintenance is probably more critical.

Compliance with RCD requirements is no guarantee of capability - there are lots of fora with discussions of this issue!
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Jake
  • Jake
  • Member Topic Starter
2015-09-25T13:24:04Z
Thanks Dick, I've reposted on the 275 part of the Forum!
Jake
Jake Lyne