GeoffTurner
2015-10-14T14:32:04Z
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ParkerSeal  (you need to be logged in to Facebook to see it).

This could be a useful way of
  • Letting people know what you're up to (eg. We're off to ... this weekend)
  • Sharing photos
  • Sharing documents

It's a "closed" group, which means that only members can see the posts and photos, or add to it. Other Facebook users can see that it exists, but can't see any content.

So to join the group, go to the group's page and there should be a "Join Group" button - click it and I should get your request. Once you're a member, you can invite your FB friends to join, and any existing member can approve them. (But please ensure they're PSSA members!). More help here. 

Obviously, there's quite a lot of overlap between this forum and the Facebook group. So let me know what you think!

Geoff
Gilliane Sills
2015-10-14T21:18:21Z
Dear Geoff

I hope information about rallies will still be posted on the forum, for people like me who don't use Facebook. It would be good if people suggested impromptu rallies this way too.

Gilliane
Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
philip linsell
2015-10-15T14:19:57Z
I don't see any need for this.
I creates a private group, separate to main members, further isolating those who do not use the internet or facebook.
If your news is good enough for posting it should be good enough for all.
We should be encouraging all members not setting up private groups.
I think this should be closed down before it gets going.
Philip
rascal

As we still have many members who do not use the forum or the internet I would like to see a brief description of the items recently included in the forum in the newsletter to encourage more members to participate.
GeoffTurner
2015-10-15T15:36:41Z
By "Private", it just means that only group members can see it, not all Facebook users. Of course, all PSSA members who use Facebook will be able to join the group. It could set to be a "Public" group, which would mean that all Facebook users could browse it, although only members can post to it. Initially I've set it to Private as it seemed more appropriate.

As we have no idea how many PSSA members use Facebook, I think we should give it a go. I think we're more likely to get news and photos on there than we ever do on this forum. And Facebook has the advantage that posts are brought to your attention - whereas we know 90% of members look at this forum less than once a month.

It certainly isn't about creating a private clique; if anything, it's the opposite. Those of us outside the Solent don't get much of a feel for what's going on; event reports are rare and slow, whereas Facebook is immediate.

But yes, rally info will still be on this forum, and the photo gallery on Flickr, both open to all.

And I like the idea of having a precis of forum topics in the newsletter.
philip linsell
2015-10-15T19:34:20Z
So it duplicates what the website already does but limits it to facebook users, not good, not needed.
As an association we should be considering all members not encouraging separate groups.
Philip
rascal