Phill
  • Phill
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2015-12-19T09:23:15Z
  Winch Modification.docx (1,042kb) downloaded 124 time(s).

Winter layup revealed that Flamingo's StrongArm keel winch had suffered the usual failure with the axle spinning and chewing an elongated hole in the side plate, the teeth on the drum had suffered minor damage so I decided to attempt a modification.
With some persuasion (over a week) the axle was removed and the central hole in the drum re-drilled from half inch to 14mm.
I then made 6mm thick aluminium plates to reinforce and thicken the bearing areas in the housing and drilled right through to take flanged 20mm o/d bronze oilite bushes.
Finally I made a new axle from 14mm stainless bar with a circlip on the clutch side and a shaft locking collar on the other end.
Bench tests look promising, the axle now spins in 10mm wide bronze bushes rather than chewing up the case.
Most of the bits came from Bearing Boys on the internet quite cheaply and I can't help thinking that this modification, applied to a new winch should give many years of reliable service. Not as elegant as the hydraulic ram but achievable cheaply in a reasonably well equipped garage. I've attached some photos above, if my attachment works.
Finally I have set aside my reservations about Dyneema, the 8mm that was on the drum had been there for two seasons was almost as new and could have been reused. However I decided to go for 8mm Dynaline Winch Line which is specifically designed for winching operations and has a minimum breaking strain of 5800kg. I'll report on the final outcome in the spring.

Phill
Flamingo 275/38
DickG
2015-12-20T17:10:42Z
If anyone would like any used winch bits I have the surviving components of two Dutton Lainson electric winches in my garage - together they make one serviceable winch and some spare parts. Let me know!

Well done! Looks like a good re-engineering of the Dutton Lainson winch. The silly bit of original DL design being the supposedly fixed axle on which the drum was supposed to run, with no easy way of maintaining lubrication inside the drum. Have you attempted to fix the drum to the axle, or will you leave time to do that for you in the traditional DL fashion?

I was glad to get rid of the head-banging box though!
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Phill
  • Phill
2015-12-21T10:32:15Z
Dick,
I would quite like to use your bits to make a new winch with my modifications to make one good winch. I have a few ideas for an improved MkII modification. I'd be happy to keep the finished winch 'in stock' for any other owners that had a failure. I did consider using grub screws to fix the drum to the axle but in the end it doesn't matter. It may rotate on the axle as designed, or the axle can spin freely in the case. The axle can be removed easily for lubrication if it is done regularly. Regarding the head banging dilemma, surely that's why the wife sleeps to starboard!
Phill
DickG
2015-12-21T19:50:41Z
Where are you located? I'm in Chelmsford.

I's always regarded Parkers as gentlemen's boats, but perhaps I was mistaken!

Dick
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Phill
  • Phill
2015-12-31T07:52:14Z
Dick,
I'm in Lincoln and the boat lives at Brancaster during the season. We tend to get out and about so if we are coming near Chelmsford I'll get in touch.
Phill
DickG
2015-12-31T14:24:55Z
Phill,

PM sent.

Dick
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Phill
  • Phill
2016-06-30T18:44:51Z
I have finally completed the repair and modification of the first winch that Dick gave me, the second should follow in the next couple of weeks. So there is a working winch without a clutch in my garage should anyone have a winch failure. I like the idea that between us we could keep them as emergency spares while new ones arrive from America, or it might just be a good idea for someone to fit it and use it. Anyway, if you want it contact me.
The modified winch that I fitted to Flamingo has worked faultlessly so far and sounds significantly better than it did before the fix. The new Dynalite is also performing as expected too.
If your winch chews up its casing I'm happy to share the plans for repairing it, or I'll fix it, if the axle can be removed.

Phill
Flamingo 275/38