John Stannard
2016-06-14T13:05:57Z
Dear All,

I am considering replacing the Yanmar 1GM10 unit on a 275. I am hoping to achieve a little more power and add a hot water facility.

The obvious choice seems to be a Yanmar 2YM15, but as this is larger than the 1GM10 I understand the fit will be rather tight so making accessability an issue.

I am looking for advice on how best to fit the larger engine and hot water facility, tank location etc, or any recommendations for alternative brand, more compact engines.

Many thanks

John S
07979 595 695
Marvin Kowalewski
2016-06-14T21:03:20Z
Hi John.............

I own The Happy Seal...a Parker 27 #138

I have a 2GM20....it was built into the boat by Parker and shipped to USA......tight but not too bad to reach around. My complaint is with the generator belt....tough to reach and often not quite up to spec tension.

If I could change things...that would be to adjust the tension from the front of the engine. Keep your eye on the zincs and
water exhaust manifold.....you should be fine.

Marv Kowalewski

PS..I am looking for the brown rubber simulated wood that is on the floor of the head and also Parker used it on seats. What is it and where does one get it?

Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2016-06-15T11:26:25Z
Hi Marvin
Do you mean the stuff Parkers used on the companionway steps ?
On some boats they used teak faced ply for the seats.
As for the engine query, no boatbuilder seems to offer space around the engine, at least with the Parkers its feasible to remove the engine without cutting holes as is the case with some. There are a surprising number of engines out there , Nannis, Betas, Volvos as well as the Yanmars. So get out your tape measure and check with the drawings, the exhaust stub seems to be the major problem .

Jan
325/32
Blue Moon
Andrew D
2016-06-15T19:36:49Z
Hi John
I replaced my 1GM10 with a Yanmar 2YM15 on VELA my Parker 275 about two years ago. It has been a great success so much more power and especially in acceleration and stopping power. I used the same shaft and folding propellor with a new dripless shaft seal. The engine is a very tight fit and we put in two hatches either side to improve access to the oil filter and alternator. I would fully recommend this engine if you can find an experienced engineer to fit it for you. I also have plenty domestic hot water from the tank situated above the engine in the engine bay, the tank also has a 240v immersion. An engine upgrade is not a cheap option but well worth the effort and cost.
Andrew D
John Stannard
2016-06-16T12:10:34Z
Many thanks for the feedback Marvin, Jan and Andrew.

Andrew, sounds promising, I would be interested to know the details of your folding prop and water tank.

John S
Andrew D
2016-06-17T14:57:05Z
John

Folding prop was the one I bought for the 1GM10 and works fine with the 2YM15 and is a Flexofold 14x09 R bladset on a 1" 1:12 Taper shaft 2 blade. Not cheap but in my view the best and beautifully engineered.
The original 1GM10 had a hot water kit on it so the tank was an original as shown below.Its great to have hot water on tap, a different cruising experience!
IMG_5552.JPG

Click to View Image96 View(s)

John Stannard
2016-06-22T17:26:20Z
Many thanks Andrew. The photo is really helpful.
It looks pretty snug!
Gilliane Sills
2016-06-23T16:32:28Z
We have a 2GM20 on Delphine, with a calorifier and immersion heater fitted. The photo shows how the calorifier limits access to the engine. The most difficult operation is getting the oil filler cap off (clamping pliers wielded from aft of the engine to get the cap started, then a hand inserted flat from the front to rotate the cap until it's free). We bought a spare cap soon after trying this for the first time, as dropping it at this stage seems very likely! The next most difficult operation is spotting the dipstick from the side and the third most difficult is adding engine oil. This involves a funnel with a flexible tube poked into the oil filler hole (once the cap has been removed with difficulty - see earlier!) and needs three hands - one to hold the funnel, one to hold the flexible end in to the hole and one to pour the oil.

Having hot water from the taps is splendid - but we do wonder whether it's worth it when we're trying to get the oil filler cap off!

Best wishes

Gilliane

171960.jpg

Click to View Image56 View(s)

Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
Marvin Kowalewski
2016-06-26T19:59:54Z
TO...Gilliane..you DO have er squeezed in there. Since I have a P 27, anytime I get to see a 275 is really an eye opener. The 275 is BIG compared to the 27...and for you to be able to do that tank trick in that location proves it. For hot water..I ended up buying a very small instant propane unit and installed it into the hanging locker..no vent needed because it sits below the sliding hatch.

Long ago.1992 or 3..Bill Parker mentioned I should seriously look at the 31 or the 275...at the time I was trailering my 27 down to Florida from New York.. (a 275 would not do that.

I have a suggestion on the oil for you. When I drain and change my oil I use a little pump with a tube that is inserted into the place for the dipstick. I take out about 1 quart or so. Turns out, this pump is reversible....so if you want just pull the tube that drained the old oil into your new oil and reverse the switch.

Fair Winds...
PS I am still looking for that brown rubber simulated covering that parker used on the 27s for seats and the floor of the head. it's like peel and stick material but look like teak.
Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D
DenisB
2016-06-26T21:17:09Z
Hi Marvin,

Have a look at www.seadek.com , they provide a templating service as well as a wide range of finishes.

Regards
Denis
P27 Selina 158