PaulBurton
2007-05-09T19:30:31Z
I have been meaning to put some electric hook up equipment on Lady P.

Since she has been at home since Mon, sat on my drive thought I better get it done.

I have fitted a 2 way splash proof RCD consumer unit with a 6amp and a 16amp MCB. This is mounted in the external locker on the forward bulkhead. The feed to this is via a blue 16amp type plug. I have cut a small hole in the locker lid to allow the cable to pass through without being crushed. I have mounted a waterproof single socket next to it.
I then drilled a hole from the battery locker (port) through the aft bulkhead into the double aft berth. Then a hole directly above into the external locker. I then fed 2 cables down from the external locker. One goes into the battery locker to feed a sterling automatic charger and is fed from the 6amp MCB. This charger will automatically recharge the 12v battery and will also feed the 12v system when used. It has a built in cooling fan and is very quiet.
The other cable runs from port to starboard to feed 2 single waterproof sockets, one under the steps and the other back to back in the aft double berth. The kids NEED to charge the electronic games. The other socket is to run the cool box or heater or anything else needed, but is out of sight under the steps. I will carry a 4 way one meter long extension , in case we want to plug more than one thing in.

I will take some pictures tomorrow, if it is dry.....far to wet outside tonight.

All cable entry/exits are through stuffing glands and cable running through bulkheads have been sealed with sealant.

I used 1.5mm 3core arctic grade flex.

I will work out the cost involved later on.

I hope this is of help to someone.

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
PaulBurton
2007-05-10T17:14:16Z
UserPostedImage
I will change the 16amp plug to a mounted one when I can get hold of one.

UserPostedImage

You can see the trucking going down into the battery locker...It is usually a lot darker down that end.....

UserPostedImage

You can see the cut out for the cable entry..

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Graham Ebb
2007-05-11T11:44:43Z
Paul,
Just wondered, what is the socket going to be used for in the cockpit locker ?

PaulBurton
2007-05-17T07:50:16Z
The socket outside is for general use...I can plug power tools in, plug a cockpit light in, my polishing machine.

I'm sure it will be useful.

I'm an electrician so it didn't cost anything....

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
PaulBurton
2007-05-26T07:45:06Z
After seeing another new 235 launched today at Fosdyke and having a chat to the new owners (sorry I forgot your name)they asked how much it would cost for this installation.

I could do the same as I have with RCD/MCB unit, 3 single sockets, battery charger, 10m hook up lead fully installed for £300.(plus travel.)
This price could be adjusted if you buy your own charger and own hook up lead.

The charger I used was a Sterling Pro budget 6amp auto charger.

I hope this doesn't break forum rules. I will not be making a huge profit from the work done. I am doing it because I enjoy working on boats and would like to help other 235 owners. If anyone wants to do it themselves I'm happy to answer any questions (for free). I did not originally post this thread to get work, just to help other 235 owners.

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Don Harvey
2007-05-26T16:32:51Z
Paul - OK this time but as people pay to advertise services on the web site and newsletter I'd not like the Forums to be a way of circumventing that. Wouldn't be fair don't you think? You are an electrician after all.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
David Pocock
2007-12-20T21:41:53Z
Paul

For next season (hoping for some sun) I have bought a small Waeco fridge for my 235 and so I will need to top up the battery with more than just the solar panel or outboard charger.

Up here, shorepower is never an option. I have a Honda EU10i generator and have just acquired at an irresistible price a Sterling 40 amp international charger (overkill I know). I intend to run the generator in the cockpit and take the 240v output into the cabin on a simple trailing lead. I would like to copy your idea and fit the charger into the battery locker permanently attached to the battery. Any suggestions on the safest and neatest way to connect everything together to achieve this?

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
PaulBurton
2007-12-21T15:03:08Z
David,

I would do as I have done and just plug the shorepower lead into the genny.....You can then use the shorepower if you ever come across any...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Co...WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem 

It is also handy to plug the boat in at home....make up an adapter to go from round blue plug to square domestic plug.

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
David Pocock
2007-12-22T18:34:32Z
Thanks Paul. As soon as it warms up I will have a go.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa