julesanian
2017-09-12T15:33:35Z
Apologies for what may seem a silly question but how many bolts should there be holding the tabernacle to the cabin roof ? We've just stepped the mast and can only see three and one that appears to be either missing or is a sheared off bolt. Please take a look at the red arrow that points to the apparently missing bolt . Many thanks for any help. We've only sailed all season without it if it is needing replacing !
IMG_5535.JPG

Click to View Image74 View(s)

John Edwards
2017-09-16T13:05:18Z
Hi,

Sorry but I can't really help. I was on the boat yesterday and there are certainly 2 bolts at the front, but I can't see the others as the mast is in the way! Looking at your photo, though, I would put money on 4.
Regards

John
235/07 Diamond
julesanian
2017-09-17T06:29:51Z
thanks for taking the time and trouble to have a look.
There's been some progress...
We've stepped the mast and the bolt head HAS sheared off sometime in the past. We've only been sailing around all summer without one, maybe even since we bought her last year !
There is NO ACCESS to the bottom of these bolts , either by removing the top casing found in the cabin roof over the galley or by removing the keel housing cover !!
Anyway it was simple to remove the broken bolt and replace it. I was not surprised to see that the bolts are made of high speed steel
IMG_5597.JPG

Click to View Image46 View(s)

. Presumably the main forces are acting downwards on the tabernacle.

IMG_5486.JPG

Click to View Image40 View(s)