bosun
  • bosun
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2021-03-03T16:42:56Z
Good afternoon,
I have been looking at different boat options for my first yacht, having sailed and raced dinghies for many years. I have looked at similar lift keel 21 ft boats from Hunter/RedFox, Jaguar, Benneteau and Jenneau but the Parker 21 looks like a good choice of boat for me.

I intend to take my grown up son (who is an experienced sailor) and grandchildren sailing on the south coast mainly, decent performance will be good for this as we like a bit of speed, but sufficient stability so the grandchildren are not traumatised. I would like to be able to sail single handed or short handed at times, I live in Dorset and will probably base the boat at Poole or Weymouth. My non sailing wife may join me on fine days, so the ability to manage the boat single handed is again important as there must be no dramas that will put her off.

I would like to tow the boat occasionally to different sailing areas and ease of rigging is important as well as ease of towing and launching.

Things I like about it from what I have gleaned:
-An active owners association and knowledge base
-aids to erect the mast single handed
-sits low on its road trailer and comparably light for its size as I intend to tow it with a 2.0l camper van.[/list]
-sails well and not too tippy or sensitive to weight movement
-practical internal layout
-good build quality
-keel raises completely into hull - good for drying moorings and launching
-outboard fits in cockpit
-spinnaker for fine days or pressing on[/list]

1. Are there any downsides to the boat or peculiarities?
2. Are there any common faults to look for when buying?
3. Does anyone have a tidy example for sale?

Safe sailing
Mike
BillPeach
2021-03-06T17:39:43Z
Parker or Seal could well be a good choice or you

Take a look at the 'for sale' pages to see what boats are currently on the market.

Once Covid restrictions lift, a good option would be to come to one of the rallies (see events) and talk to a few of the owners and probably take a look at some of the boats

Bill Peach
'Kalandia' Parker 325
Moored: Lymington River
bosun
  • bosun
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2021-03-07T22:20:37Z
Bill
thanks for your reply. I see the association usually has a full calendar of events and visiting a rally sounds a good idea.

I have looked into the adverts as you suggested, though arranging a purchase in the current lockdown is challenging.

Stay safe
Mike
John Edwards
2021-03-08T07:58:33Z
Hello Mike,

I can’t really address your questions directly but a couple of points. Have you considered a 235? Slightly more expensive but probably worth looking at. I moved-on from dinghies and have had my 235 for 10 years: it is very easy to sail single handed and when I do have a ‘crew’ they are more like passengers.

Secondly, I use a boatyard in Poole Harbour and leave the boat in the water during the summer. Great place to sail, whether you want to go out in the afternoon for a couple of hours or for an extended period. A lifting keel is almost a must to appreciate the harbour and surrounding area. I manage to get myself into all sorts of trouble with the shallow waters but relatively easy to get out of.

Happy to host you when the conditions change.

John
235/07 Diamond
RobPierce
2021-03-08T21:08:39Z
As someone who has cruised and raced Keelboats and dinghies all my life I can say you will not be disappointed with the Parker 21. I bought one a year ago and was able to sail it for a few weeks last summer.
I have been very pleased with it and am sure it will fit your " specification". They sail beautifully.