johniow
  • johniow
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2021-06-24T16:55:04Z
Dredging is taking place in Newport Harbour. Work begun opposite the aggregate yard to the west (by the Premier Inn), seemed to continue along the western bank, and has now moved to the east by the ramp (which has now been removed) which accesses the pontoons. The ladders are still in use.
IMG_0632.jpg

Click to View Image14 View(s)

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_9838.jpg

Click to View Image13 View(s)

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

The IoW Council issued a statement on the 17 Mar 2021 saying "Dredgers will return to the harbour for the first time since the 1970s as part of the £370,000 project which will see contractors, Jenkins Marine, carry out the work over the next two months.":
https://www.iow.gov.uk/n...o-dredge-Newport-Harbour 
but as always the project has slipped, and here we are almost in July.
However, the IoW Council does actually issue Local Notice to Mariners (not many people know that), and the latest estimate is "scheduled to start week commencing Friday 9 April 2021 and is programmed to take 10 weeks to complete".
https://www.iow.gov.uk/R...Local-Notice-to-Mariners 
Note that the harbour is NOT closed; just limited facilities.
Nosey - Parker 325-26
johniow
  • johniow
2021-06-28T09:34:14Z
Dredging now seems to have been completed - pontoon, ramp (and electricity cable) all back in place.
However, there appears to still be significant shoaling (a big lump) at the far end of the pontoons just before the gangway leading ashore. The middle of the final pontoon doesn't look to good either ...
IMG_0664A.jpg

Click to View Image21 View(s)

IMG_0665A.jpg

Click to View Image21 View(s)

IMG_0668A.jpg

Click to View Image20 View(s)

Nosey - Parker 325-26
Martin Watson
2021-06-29T12:39:19Z
Hi John, do you have any information on Ryde Harbour? I poked my nose in a week ago to have a look and at 1.5 Hours before HW, only had 1M of water at the entrance gradually increasing to 1.5M over three boat lengths from the entrance and then becoming 2.3M out to the sand bar which then reduced to 2M before dropping off into deeper water. I could see sand banked up against the far wall within about 1.2M of the top of the wall. According to Jack Wheeler, whose parents live on the Island and who has in previous years kept his boat in Ryde, The Ryde Town Council have 'abandoned' the harbour to its fate for the time being until the dredging that is apparently still going on out to the Nab Tower, has been completed, as it is thought that that is the cause of the silting up, as they only dredged out the marina earlier this year at great expense. There were plans to upgrade the Marina but that is also on hold for the time being until they see what happens after the dredging has stopped. It is thought that the straightening of the approach into Portsmouth may have altered the hydrography as well. There is now a thick layer of sand over the mud in the marina, to the extent, the local fishermen are driving down the ramp onto the sand at low water, to load their boats directly instead of having to move things by barrow along the pontoon.

Martin Watson
johniow
  • johniow
2021-07-01T13:44:55Z
Hi Martin,
I'll have a look around. I seem to remember seeing something in our local paper that the Council (which owns Newport, Ryde and Ventnor - but not Yarmouth or Bembridge) planned to install a portacabin next to the HM portacabin to improve the facilities. I'll try and find that, and let the IoW Council know it will be a waste for money if boats can't get into Ryde Harbour.
Watch this space ...
John
Nosey - Parker 325-26
Ken Surplice
2021-07-11T21:19:37Z
Here’s an update on Newport harbour. Electricity is not yet reconnected but it will be soon. Water is not restored throughout but one tap is functioning so you can carry a bottle to it.
Ken
johniow
  • johniow
2021-07-12T09:29:58Z
Electricity? Water? But we're Parkers and Seals - Newtown and Timbrells are our spiritual homes ...😉

But I shall be more thorough and less hasty before I report an Isle of Wight Council facility open for business.
Nosey - Parker 325-26
Ken Surplice
2021-07-12T20:48:15Z
Hi. I was only observing, not at all bothered by delayed return of some facilities. I’m always happy to be in Newport, Newtown or wherever and still enjoy a cold beer thanks to solar panel and fridge. You are right - independence is good 😀.
Ken
James Hamilton
2021-07-19T16:21:03Z
We were there shortly after Ken, unfortunately the dredging has allowed some largish motor-yachts to risk it, however I suppose that's progress. Eventually I understand it will be more like a Marina, with new houses, and a swing bridge where a new cycle path crosses the harbour. As far as the Harbour goes we (a P235) managed to stay afloat, other than a couple of hours either side of low water; but avoid the far south end after the corner as it is not dredged as deeply.