Sunshine
2021-10-28T17:19:26Z
We have recently bought Sunbird 275 and are struggling to locate two small leaks on the port focsle and starboard saloon side, the water seems to come in from the toe rail, where the deck meets the hull. We have tried soaping the boat on the outside and then blowing air from the inside from a compressor to see where we might get bubbles but with no joy. Does anyone have any suggestions about how we locate the leak and of course fix it!
With many thanks.
Jennie and Graham
Ken Surplice
2021-11-03T22:49:10Z

Hi Jennie and Graham,

I’ve not heard of a leak around the deck/hull join before, only through windows and chainplates. When tackling a leak on my 275 I did a search on leak finding techniques as I was struggling to find the source at the time. Some things you can try to identify the source rather than the run-off:

• Dust the whole area with talcum powder

• Use lines of blu tak to make compartments on the side of the hull. These can also help identify the path the water is taking

• Apply liberal amounts of Fernox LS (LS meaning leak stop) to areas where you suspect a leak. It is effective, inexpensive and not mucky. If it works, leave it there. If it doesn’t you can easily remove it, unlike Sikaflex. You can find it at DIY shops, Travis Perkins etc. it comes in a toothpaste-sized cardboard box

Have any other owners found a leak in their hull-deck joint?
Ken