rme877
2022-02-09T21:24:24Z
I need to replace the ropes that lift and lower the rudder. The lifting rope appears to be easy enough to replace. It is tied through a hole in the rudder about one third of the way down and the short piece of rope is held via a jammer on the rudder stock. We are both quite old and find lifting the rudder extremely difficult. Is there a better way of doing this? What modifications have others made to their rudder mechanism?
Secondly, the downhaul. Now we can manage that as there is a 3:1 pulley system but the rope is worn and needs replacing. The bottom end follows a groove round the rudder and goes inside through a hole. How is this fixed and how can I access it?
Are there any drawings apart from the rather basic ones in the Parker 21 manual?
2022-03-04T23:55:37Z
Hello
If your P21 rudder is similar to mine, it is quite easy to lift the rudder blade by working the tiller up and down a few strokes as you maintain tension on that uphaul through the cleat. (Like a pump action)
The downhaul is held in the rudder blade by a simple knot which is covered over with a dab of resin. It might need drilling/breaking out step by step with a 6mm drill in order to dig out the old ‘plug’ from one side

Hope this helps
Lindsey P21 Amy (Brancaster)
PS I am a mere 75yr old - the owner of P21 Sea Fever was sailing into his mid 80s (almost every day during the season!) Ideal yacht for pensioners!!