• Advanced Member Topic Starter
2023-07-09T13:27:38Z
IMG_5249.jpeg

Click to View Image5 View(s)

IMG_5250.jpeg

IMG_5255.jpeg

I have a new VHF, a Standard Horizon 1850GPS with an additional handset (RAM4) for use at the wheel. I plan to have the connection right under the traveller as that is a flat, more or less protected area. The question is how the cable can best be routed. The RAM4 comes with a 7m cable with fixed connectors at either side. The smalles connector measures 18mm.

My idea was to try to push a drawing spring from under kitchen sink (as there I see the large black cable bundle as well as the heating duct) to the space near to the calorifier and the fuel tank.

Has anyone experience routing a cable this way? Perhaps some has a better suggestion?

Sandack
2023-07-09T15:49:32Z
Dirk

We have just completed a re-instrument of Sandack (P325 #30) and have run a large number of cables, including a Raymarine VHF 2nd station cable with chunky connectors from the chart table to the stern of the boat. We took the route from the instrument panel above the chart table, straight down and then aft, through the space under the port saloon seat and then behind the battery box and into the space below the sink. We then ran it from below the sink, under the cooker and into the port aft cabin space alongside the existing wiring loom. If this sounds like a nightmare then you are not far from the truth. What made it possible was the use of a wireless endoscope, £40 from Amazon, to find the route and then pull back a messenger cord.

https://www.amazon.co.uk...e%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-7 

I did have to use a hole saw to open up some of the wiring passages through bulkheads a little but it all worked. Without being able to see the path though, frustration may have led us to use a visible cable run which we didn't want.

Top tip 1. pull a second messenger line with your VHF cable and leave it in place for future use.

Top tip 2. The endoscope is the best buy we have made. Use it for inspecting inaccessible bilges under the heads floor, for retrieving objects dropped into tiny spaces, for inspecting the ram anode part way through the season and for terrifying the ship's cat. It works well on Android but you'd need to check Apple.

Best of luck

Ewan

DirkB
  • DirkB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2023-07-09T16:13:29Z
Thank you for your swift reply Ewan. It is comforting to know others have done an, even a more difficult task, then I plan to. I do have an endoscopic type of camera (WandIt) but so far I find it of little use as often items are out of focus.

I’ll dive in into the port aft cabin space to have a look at the cable loom.

Where exactly did you lead the VHF 2nd station cable to at the stern?

Good tip to pull a messenger line with the VHF cable.

Sandack
2023-07-09T16:26:49Z
We took the cable from the aft cabin space, into the fuel tank space and then up into the port side locker. We used the cable to connect to a Raymarine Raymic which is mounted just aft and up from the throttle lever where it is fairly protected but easily reached by the helmsman