terry
  • terry
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-08-28T21:24:06Z
just finished a months cruise in our "28" .A fine boat in every aspect except of the heavy helm . Are these boats known for the bulging muscles required the steer a stready course ??? If so she has to go Im afraid [:(]

Cheers

Terry

NB Its lonely in here innit??[8)]

If its got tits or sails its going to be expensive
Mike Edwards
2007-08-28T21:31:08Z
Hello Terry

I would not say that Aztec was heavy on the helm, except when she is over pressed.

Is your heavy helm a result of weather helm? (wants to steer into the wind)

My weather helm was vastly removed following repositioning my mast an inch forward, also the addition of slab reefing ensures that I can reef whenever I want to, even whilst still sailing.

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Gilliane Sills
2007-08-28T22:17:25Z
Terry, I don't know what the arrangement is for lifting the rudder on a Seal 28, but if it's anything like that on a Super Seal, the problem could be with the angle of the rudder blade. We had the reverse problem when we bought Miss Fidget three years ago, in that she had considerable lee helm, which was scary! The rudder pivots in the stock to reduce the draft, and we found that if we didn't allow it to pivot as far forward as it was able to when it was down, (following advice from Chris Turner) then the lee helm disappeared, and she's now beautifully balanced. If your rudder pivots, and you can get it to pivot further forward, so that there's a larger proportion of the rudder area forward of the vertical about which the rudder turns, then you'd reduce the weather helm.

Best wishes

Gilliane

Miss Fidget, Super Seal 26, no. 69

Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
terry
  • terry
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-08-29T18:10:57Z
Its not weather helm nor lee helm . When motoring anything above quarter throttle you really have to wrestle with the helm almost with two hands to hold a course and really have to lean into the tiller to alter course and it isn't much better when sailing . Its just a very heavy helm in general . The rudder moves freely when not underway but once moving its a pig . very exausting to use so it looks as if she has to go . Shame really .[:(]
Mike Edwards
2007-08-29T18:18:53Z
Terry

My rudder is heavy if I am motoring with the blade up. If I put the blade down it is OK.

This winter lay up remove the rudder and shaft from the boat and check the tube is clean and the shaft is straight. (you need to lift the boat quite high to clear the rudder shaft from the tube)

Apart from these suggestions I don't know what the problem is with yours.

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

terry
  • terry
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-08-29T18:58:27Z
Mike , the boat is on a drying mooring and i have checked the rudder for trueness and all appears normal the rudder moves freely . I'v tried motoring/ sailing with the rudder blade in different positions but still remains heavy . Having moaned about the short coming the autohelm seems to manage ok[:)]
Neil Sinclair
2007-08-30T22:03:34Z
I complained about 'heavy helm' when I first bought my Seal 28. I expect my postings are in the 'old' forum, still. After a while I found the trick is to pay particular attention to the course. Don't let the boat wander off course. Make course corrections with very small movements (steer small, as Hornblower would have it). In fact, I had to re-learn how to steer! You have to train yourself to do this, while doing all the other tasks required, such as playing the sheets, looking out, waving at motorboats, etc. That is why the autohelm manages OK - it is doing only one job and concentrating on it. You will find that you can learn to do this and fairly soon, you will learn how to do it by feel and suddenly, the helm won't be heavy any more - it will just be very sensitive and powerful. Its a bit like a learner driver finding the throttle pedal too sensitive and kangaroo-ing down the road on his first go. My theory is that the Seal 28 does not have much directional stability, so left to herself she will very quickly veer off course. If you let this happen, you have to fight the momentum of the turning boat to get back to the course you should be on. There are occasions when this lack of directional stability is helpful - you can make very tight turns (useful in marinas) and you can also use it as a brake. If you want to stop in a hurry, do a tight 90 degree turn - you can easily lose 5 knots. I use it to pick up the mooring while under sail - approach down wind, pass the buoy at about 10 metres distance, when it is level with the cockpit, jam the helm over. The boat will pivot on her keel through 180 degrees and stop dead with the buoy just under the bow!

Give her another chance! Neil

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'