Stephen Godber
2007-10-18T17:28:37Z
Just about to take boat out of the water for winter, and I will be lowering the mast for the first time (sorry Paul and other regular lowerers!!).

The pictures I took of Bill demonstrating it last January show the spinnaker pole with the piston on the underside of the pole, but the owners handbook says piston UP.

Does the jib halyard wrap around the spinnaker pole PISTON itself or around the pole 'hook' - in other words, which way up does it go?(does it clip down onto the mast foot ring or 'hang' from underneath it?)

And does it matter anyway?

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
PaulBurton
2007-10-18T17:45:40Z
I have piston down and the halyard ties around the pole hook, not the piston.

I would say the hook is stronger than the piston. The piston could be released accidentally....!!

Having it that way has the guys upwards (with the mast up)

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
PaulBurton
2007-10-18T17:56:22Z
Just another couple of tips....maybe obvious but.

Have the boat into the wind if possible.

Put a bungee cord around the furling foil and attach to the end of the pole. This stops it dragging across the deck and goes up with the pole.

Have the weaker person do the lowering with a turn around the winch, stood in the cockpit to one side. Have the stronger person stand next to the mast (not behind it) and support sidewards as it comes down.

Have the hatch shut...the goose neck gets very close to it..

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Stephen Godber
2007-10-18T20:12:48Z
Thanks alot Paul - good advice, appreciate it!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
Stephen Godber
2007-10-21T20:07:48Z

"Exodus" safely recovered - wouldn't want to go through this as frequently as most of you do, though I appreciate that practice would speed things up considerably!

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

Mast came down a treat - thanks Paul!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
PaulBurton
2007-10-21T20:12:52Z
I would have got the trailer in a bit further....that front roller needs to be a bit more submersed.

Looks like you had to winch the boat on rather than float it on.

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Graham Ebb
2007-10-22T11:08:33Z
Hi Stephen,

I would agree with Paul, we use a launching rope on the back of our Jeep to let the trailer go further into the water. We then just float her up to the front and hook on. Slowly pull the trailer out, keeping the stern in line and its done.

Graham Ebb
235 / 25 Blue Jazz
Stephen Godber
2007-10-23T21:20:57Z
Thanks guys - will go deeper next year, although the problem was the guide arms were slightly out and thus the keel wasn't quite above the trailer central beam on which it rests. As a result I thought I was in TOO deep as the back was floating around!

At least I have another year before it comes out again!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
John Tanner
2007-12-20T11:58:23Z
Just to add to various launching/recovery comments I too use a set of waders and a rope to get the trailer further into the water (our ramp has a VERY shallow gradient and I may need up to 30 meters of rope out) .

However, my trailer's guide arms are marked with black tape indicating the exact water depth required to enable the boat to just float on - right up to the buffer at the bow. I also have two small rope ties to the top of the guide arms and round conveniently placed stanchions to steady the boat in windy conditions. The only problem I have found is the "list to port" as the boat is floating, which means that the boat may come out that way too on the trailer. I will fix that next time by paying more attention to water/battery/loo/petrol tank positioning before recovery.

John Tanner
235/34 "Billy Ruffian"