PaulBurton
2007-10-21T20:18:05Z
I was inspecting down the keel slot the other day and noticed that the 2 eyelets were quite rusty....

Didn't have much time to inspect further...

I read on here about a similar thing on bigger Parkers.

Will inspect further and take a couple of pics. Has any other 235 owners had a good look at there eyelets..??

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Graham Ebb
2007-10-22T11:04:40Z
This is our forth season with Blue Jazz and all I have done is replace the lifting line and add a bit of grease. We have had no problems at all. I do plan to make it a winter project this year to have a good look and overhaul this area.

Graham Ebb
235 / 25 Blue Jazz
Graeme
2007-10-22T13:21:55Z
On Gentoo there are a couple of rust spots coming through the keel. So This year I'm having the keel grit blasted, repainted with a liquid-zinc coating and repainted. I was also planing on replacing the keel rope and installing low friction blocks as well as greasing the slides.

Graeme Parker
"Gentoo" P235 no 22
PaulBurton
2007-10-22T16:53:47Z
I checked my blocks. That was my main reason for taking the cover off. My blocks are large Barton ball bearing blocks.

The block next to the mast was a small sheathed block, I have replaced that one with a Ronstan ball bearing block.

So does anyone know if the eyelets screw in and are replaceable.???

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Graham Ebb
2007-10-23T13:18:01Z
I think they can be unscrewed and replaced with reasonable ease with the keel out. Problem is getting in to turn them with the keel in place. It can be done with some sort of long extension bar. Not actually tried it yet.

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
2007-10-23T21:25:38Z
Does everyone anti-foul their keel each year?

I appreciate that it varies depending on use / immersion, but mine has been in the water for 6 months.

As I have no access to a crane or hoist I guess I have to either find a way of lifting it out from above, or hope it does a second season on its original anti-foul.

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
Graeme
2007-10-24T08:40:14Z
In previous two seasons, I've had Gentoo lifted on a crane long enough for me to slap on a coat of antifoul prior to launching. It was amazing how well the antifoul lasted and worked considering it was still wet when immersed. I would think you'll be OK for next year without any extra antifoul, but worth having Exodus lifted in the next season or two. Perhaps a job for the next time you visit a marina with a lifting facility. It only takes 30 mins to wash keel and repaint.

All the best,

Graeme,

P235 no 22 Gentoo
2007-10-26T12:18:06Z
Thanks Graeme - I think I'll do that, the antifoul on the hull (Interspeed Ultra) was applied by Parkers and has done a great job, itis in really good condition, so I think the keel will do another season.

I will apply another coat to the hull if I can squeeze under the trailer and attempt to get more on the hull than on my head! I'll have to leave a gap where the cradle is.

As you say, maybe a trip to the mainland to find a crane for a day next year!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
ChrisC
2008-03-30T20:50:50Z
Guys,

Following on from the last post in October, has anyone actually changed the keel eyes yet? Also, the maintenance schedule says something along the lines that the front roller can be greased by raising the keel into the box. I took this as the keel went completely into the box so that the roller was exposed. However, the keel on Tarakihi seems to be proud of the hull (by a small amount) when the keel is fully raised - stops and a large roller on the top of the keel case plus the raising tackle prevent it from going further - is this the same as other 235's? Has anyone actually lifted out the keel further?

Many thanks

Chris Cobb

235/48 Tarakihi
2008-03-30T23:35:10Z
We day sail our 235 most of the time and so need the keel to be easy to use.
When the boat was at Parker's for some other work, I asked Bill to look at the front roller which does not turn. He agreed that it was jammed but said it was not a big issue and did not need replacing or any other work - so I left it.
I do grease the keel and found it easiest to do when the keel is down. Then using a brush taped on a stick it is easy to apply grease to the surfaces that the keel slides on. It does make a significant difference!
Brian and Alison Fisher Thrift 235 no 44
Graeme
2008-03-31T08:48:35Z
While replacing the keel rope this year I also wire brushed the eyelets and gave them a coat of FLAG rust treatment. Overall the rusting was very superficial. I also changed the blocks on the uphaul system as the old ones were almost siezed.

All set for launching this weekend.

Graeme
Gentoo sail no 22
ChrisC
2008-04-01T21:01:21Z
Brian/Graeme,

Thanks for your responses. We are having Tarakihi lifted so that the keel can be lowered fully tomorrow and the sliders greased. I have already bolted a brush to my paint roller handle so hopefully it will do the trick. Will inspect the lifting eyes further and might put some zinc paint on if necessary - they look a bit rusty but as Tarakhi is less than 2 years old, I don't think they can be badly corroded....

Chris Cobb

235/48 Tarakihi
Ken Surplice
2008-10-14T00:09:34Z
Hi Folks, to keep your keel eye bolts in tip top condition, may I recommend Coppaslip? My neighbour recommended it. It works well, not only avoiding corrosion but also seizure. You can get a tube of it in car accessory shops. Ken

Ken Surplice
Vice Commodore
Ken