John Williams
2007-11-19T11:07:34Z
How do you lower a 275 mast using the spinnaker pole. My Z Spar mast does not have a tabernacle. The foot has a pin arrangement which looks like it allows the mast to fall back when the forestay is detached but does not look particularly strong. Is this the normal way and if so where do you attach the spinnaker pole and support lines? There is no pole attachment point on my deck or low on the mast that I would have expected. What do I need to get this method to work please?

John Williams
275/60 CRYSTAL
John Williams
GWENLLI
Beneteau 323
Chris Turner
2007-11-19T20:08:36Z
John, there was a good description of mast lowering by Royce Whatchorn in the old forum but I can't remember exactly where it is.
He has to lower his mast (part way) everytime he goes sailing on his 27 (so not much different to your 275. He does use rather more than the spinnaker pole so it might be too elaborate for you.
I'm sure I've kept the file somewhere in my computer so if you can't find it online just let me know and I'll dig it out and e-mail it to you.
Chris.
John Williams
2007-11-20T08:29:07Z
Hi Chris

Thanks for that.

I've seen Royce's boat. He uses a permanently fitted A frame and a clip arrangement on the forstay. I have an A frame but don't want to carry it around. It's too big. I'm looking to just use the spinnaker pole and some ropes. The 235s seem to do it this way but I don't know where they clip the pole.

John Williams
275/60 CRYSTAL
John Williams
GWENLLI
Beneteau 323
Don Harvey
2007-11-21T14:54:54Z
John

The 235s have an eye fitted at the foot of the mast where one can attach the spinnaker pole (as do the 21s). If you look at the picture gallery on the 235 page of the Parker site

http://www.parkeryachts.co.uk/Parker%20235%20Gallery.htm 

you'll see this in action.

Having used this on my 21 (which was scary enough in any sort of breeze) I cannot imagine trying to do the same with the mast of a 275.

However - you say you don't have a tabernacle. I don't think it would be wise to try this method without one.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master

Regards
Don Harvey
Tim Howard
2007-12-19T18:04:00Z
Hi John

I used a home-made A frame (3" aluminium poles 12 ft long) to raise the mast on my 275, and found it a real battle. The stresses on eveything when it got to about 30 degrees made my wife walk away in terror. I had to nick the mast from a passing Topper to push it up past the critical angle, and was very glad it was a windless day. I wont try it again!

Good luck

Tim howard
John Williams
2007-12-20T11:14:49Z
Tim

Thanks for that. This mast lowering business by A frame seems a bit of a worry.
I have one of those tower arrangements from compass which I've yet to use. It's supposed to be "easy" to use. I've just had rig measured for new sails so will be lowering the mast using it over Christmas. I'll let you know how I get on.

John Williams
275/60 CRYSTAL
John Williams
GWENLLI
Beneteau 323