Clifford Miller
2008-04-11T19:17:50Z
The May Yachting Monthly has an article "There's a Seal on my sail" which is a used boat test on my Parker 275, Abacus. The journalist enjoyed the sail! which was in strong winds. My aim was to promote our Association and all the Seal and Parker Yachts. Clifford Miller
2008-04-25T10:16:14Z
hi clfford

i read the article about Abacus with interest.
i am hoping to manage Scillys from plymouth this June
i wonder when you have a moment if you could give me more details of your mainsheet arrangement .
although the cockpit option is simpler it can be a nuisance with a few people sailing.
i am sure there are pros and cons but could you say how you manage particularly when single handed
thankyou
charles

charles clements

Spartacus 285
charles clements

Spartacus 285
Clifford Miller
2008-04-25T18:14:20Z
Hello Charles,

My mainsheet track is just forward of the main hatch and the sheet comes back to the starboard winch through a clutch like the halyards. We do not use the clutch when sailing but put about 4 turns of the sheet round the winch which holds it firm and it can be flicked off in gusts. In a gust the first let off is the track.

I also have an extra boom eye and deck eye on the cockpit floor for cockpit operation + tackle as I thought this would be better when short handed with the main sheet to hand for quick release or adjustment. In practice I had difficulty with the release and no longer use it.

Hope this helps. Trust you are enjoying the 285. The Isles of Scilly are great. We anchored off Mousehole for the night on the way out and back we stopped at the Helford River.

Clifford Miller P275 Abacus
Tim Reeder
2008-04-27T21:50:49Z
Hi Charles

I have the same arrangement as Clifford but also have a simple jam cleat on the edge of the cabin roof and jam the main sheet off in that. This means you van flick the mainsheet off easily and pull it in easily - very straightforward.

Well done Clifford on the article. I have had one or two people from outside the Association mention it. It certainly sells the boats.

I had my first sail of the season at the weekend - boat going really well with clean bottom.

Cheers

Tim
kate.hattersley
2008-04-29T11:54:21Z
Congratulations Clifford you obviously had a cracking sail and the boat is a credit to you. The pictures were good too. What came across was the truth that the 275 is fantastic boat to sail and responds beautifully. Great PR for the class! Well done. [:)]

Kate
Kate