Stephen Godber
2008-05-03T14:50:16Z

If, like me, you have struggled to support your outboard in mid-air whilst trying to fit the support tray beneath it - I have the answer!

I've drilled a hole in the mounting board through which a stainless steel pin can be inserted, utilising the existing hole in the alloy rail. This is at the right place to hold the outboard skeg and prop just clear of the cut-out in the bottom of the hull.

This allows the engine to be temporarily supported whilst you fit the 'under tray'and then you can just unpin it and let it drop onto the tray. Simple!

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
ChrisC
2008-08-06T21:51:01Z
Stephen,

We have adopted your idea on Tarakihi and it works well - thanks. I only wish there was a way to prevent the engine well and blanking plate becoming very muddy as we keep the boat on a drying swinging mooring!

Incidentally, we have also drilled a hole through the board so that the board can be locked in the alloy sliders using a padlock. The engine it self is prevented from being taken off the board by the use of another padlock, this time preventing the engine mounting screws from being undone. You can also buy commercial devices for doing the latter but recent experience in our local club (40 &50 HP engines hacked off our safety RIBs) shows that a determined thief will stop at nothing to get the engine even if they wreck it and the boat in the process! However, I think these simple methods will
probably deter an opportunistic theft and are appropriate for our "low value" engine - let's hope so.

Regards

Chris Cobb

235/48 Tarakihi