Nick Muir
2008-06-12T22:07:16Z
Having a bit of trouble getting enough tension on the fore stay. The mast on Sea Haze (MK3) has always been stepped into the 2nd hole back (looking at wear marks etc....) The technical handbook states 3rd back(from the front of the boat it assume) Having found out last year my rudder had been fitted back to front(amazing the difference it makes!!!) Im now questioning how she has been set up previously as Ive always followed the set up when I bought her. Can any one confirm or give some advice.
gregfaux
2008-06-16T13:20:18Z
To get good tension on the forestay, it might be worth fitting a backstay..... Although not part of the rig 'as designed'. On Moonspinner we have a 4mm (i think 7x19 because its very flexible) backstay with split tails secured to tangs bolted under the pushpit staunchions on the transom. It doesnt need to be wound down so tight as to upset the balance of the standard rigging but it does keep forestay tension up when hard on the wind especially. It could also be easily fitted with a tensioner if you want to race....

If you are using a roller reefing foressail, I would suggest its even more important to maintain the 'line' of the forestay, especially if the furler uses a tubular alloy foil. My own thoughts are that the flexible foil type may be better suited to the Seal 22. Hood make a light flexible one (Seaflex), harken make a flexible one too and i'm sure other companies also. I have just fitted a Hood Seaflex and will give some feedback (if you want) when i've given it a good testing, although i'm still waiting for a sail at the moment and am temporarily using my original 'hank on' sails with an additional flying forestay rigged just to clear the roller drum....

Greg...
Greg...
Seal 22 - Moonspinner